SSI Online Academic Program?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to the new students who have used it and given feedback!

Welcome to Scubaboard.

Any other feedback from people who have used it in their own training would be greatly appreciated!

I have just finished my Dive-Con program. So I am still learning the store side of the biz. But at the last shop meeting, it was my unerstanding that the student still needs to buy the student kit with the dvd to finish the course, and take the final written exam. From my perspective, you should get the student kit, as it is a very useful resource. Even after passing my ow course, I still reviewed the book to help gain a better understanding.

Just curious, did you have to buy a new Open Water Manual and DVD as well?

Sorry for the delayed reply, I'm not in the habit of checking the boards yet.
I did buy the training kit which included the book, DVD, divelog, and SSI sticker. My kit was $80.

I had looked at the PADI online training, but it was $120 up front, which as a brand new student, I was reluctant to spend without know g a little bit more about what I was getting into.
I like the way SSI does it.

Posted via Mobile Device

I am about to do my first on line strudent. The book they purcahse is scaled down from the Open Water Diver book and supports just doing a knowledge review. I am curious how prepared they will be, especally with the tables. I 'll report back after I finish on how it goes.

Hi Mark could you tell us if SSI is going to offer more than just open water in the future?
and would you please tell about your first student ?
this is very interesting to see how the future of dive training unfolds.

So here is the good and bad news on the on-line course. The student said the material was well presented and he found the material easy to follow. Where he had difficulty was in the mechanics of moving through the sections. He said the screen kept locking up. On several occasions he had to quit, exit, and log back in. The first night I questioned if he had actually logged in. I tried going on line and had the exact same experience. I finally gave up after getting about half way through.

So the content seems well presented. The execution appears to have a few bugs. I do not know if the SSI server was having a bad couple of days but IMHO, the system needs to be more reliable for public use.

Mark,

I've looked at the online training. I can say that in some areas of the SSI ODIN site (especially the shop/instructor downloads sections) the site does not play well with IE6. IE7 is necessary. I've found Firefox a much better match for it. And you could be right about server problems.

Hope this helps,
Bryan

PS. I like books better, no version or throughput issues.

Back
Top Bottom