Cold water diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We dive lake tahoe year round in 7mm fj, it's not that bad, ( new years day 33 degrees), but dry suits are def. The choice of discriminating divers,
just make sure your gloves & hood fit nicely,

28 degrees F in a farmer john 7mm. 15 minutes, and I did not fill my suit with hot water because the deck house had burst.

I was ok until I got back on the boat (I was checking the props & hull), the water was about 15 degrees warmer than the air with the wind chill that day.

NudeDiver --- You have hit the nail on the head. One can go in with a wetsuit for 45 min dive and maybe deal with water below 40*. BUT --- are they anxious and able to go in for that second 45 min dive after the SI. I want to hear what wetsuit brand that is also. And I tip my hat to those of you that respond positively to NudeDiver's query.

The coldest I've been in a (7mm) wetsuit was 52F. The coldest I've ever been warm/comfortable in my wetsuit was....well, I suppose I've never been warm/comfortable in my wetsuit, short of the time I was in Cozumel, in which case a 7mm was probably overkill, but I was never hot.

If you'll be diving in cold water, it's probably worth your money to look into a drysuit. If you're cold on a dive, you won't enjoy it, and you won't want to do a second one....if you're dry and warm, you'll be a lot happier.

Like 40-41 degrees F in a 7mm full suit hood and gloves....was fairly comfy, but only for a short while.

Just did a 38 degrees F in a dry suit last weekend.

I've done dives as cold as 38 degrees f in a custom tailored S.A.S. (Sub-Aquatic Systems/Suits... sadly no longer in business) farmer john and jacket, but it wasn't particularly comfortable, and I wouldn't have gone for a second dive without pre-warming the suit.

The coldest multiple dives I've done in that suit WITHOUT taking warming precautions were around 45f... maybe 42 at depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom