Thailand DM and maybe IDC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasully

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I'm going SOMEWHERE to do my DM and maybe IDC this summer. I've got time in June/July, and Thailand is on my short list. Only problem, 3 diver friends have told me that Thailand diving is best Oct-Apr, that I'd be hitting the stormy season in June/July, that I wouldn't have good diving, etc, unless I go to the Koh Tao on the gulf side.

Is this good advice? I've never been east of Istanbul, so I know nothing about Thailand. Just a place on the map I've always dreamed of checking out. I only know about Koh Tao what I've read on this board - much has not been positive, but some has. It seems most of what I've read was written by people who work in Thailand. I'd be more interested in the travellers' views rather than residents who of course harbor regional biases.

I am in my mid-30s and not a partier, and I'm a female going by myself. I'm looking for somewhere that will be a good place for someone like me - friendly, safe, into diving, but not into bar hopping anymore.

I appreciate any advice. I don't have extra time to travel around and scope out the LDSs and course directors first. I've got a job to be back to and I know I need 6 weeks to complete just the DM, and I've got the long travel time from Thailand to and from Alaska to factor in, too. So I need to organize this from the US before I go. My hippie backpacking days are long gone.

If you can offer any advice without telling me to travel around and see what I like, I'd appreciate it. I know this isn't the ideal, but I'm making do with what I've got. When we shop in Alaska, we order from catalogs because we don't have all the fancy stores to visit and try clothes on. Of course there's always a more perfect fit when you go into a store, but we learn to make do. This will have to be the same :)

Peace.

Hi Scubasully,

The advice given by diver friends was correct, the Gulf has the better conditions during the time frame that you're available. Although The Andaman Sea can be good, your best option will be the Gulf, just looking at stats and experience. Oops, yep, I'm not a traveller but live in Thailand, in the Gulf actually, however feel free to check out my url's as listed below, they may be helpful nonetheless.

If you would narrow it down to Koh Tao or Samui, both use the same dive sites, so from Samui you have to travel every day to and fro. However, imho, live is more varied on Samui and there's a lot more to do besides diving, which can be a nice option. Koh Tao would more follow up on your hippie backpacking days, with all due respect to the good folks on the rock!

Feel free to pm or email me, I may be able to answer more questions that you may have.

Thanks - I didn't realize Samui was such a big distance but such a different vibe.

You friend was only partially right, scubasully. The fact is that during June, July and August we have fairly good weather conditions here on the Andaman side, but the wind will still be blowing and kicking up some chop and waves so there won't be trips to the Similans--Thailand's best diving--which is probably what your friend meant. It's not that you won't get good diving in June and July, but just that you won't get the BEST diving Thailand has to offer.

We dive year round from Phuket, and our local sites are very nice (though having chosen to live on Phuket, I suppose one could say I'm biased!). So let me move away from that subjective statement to an objective one: statistically speaking, June, July and August are not so terribly rainy here--just enough to keep the heat from getting from oppressive. (September and October can be awfully wet, however.) So please don't cross Phuket off the list of possibilities because of some much needed rain!

Anyway, the DM training is mostly about building up your knowledge base and skills to professional levels, and the diving you do is rather secondary to that; the IDC is the same, but more geared towards instruction, naturally. Your profile indicates that you already have the minimum numbers of dives you need for DM and OWSI certs (60 and 100 respectively). Regardless, if you do quite a lot of diving just to dive or as part of an internship, you will be getting to the same sites over and over, no matter where you choose to do your training. You can find excellent course directors (such as limbo) on either the Gulf side of Thailand or the Andaman side. But the better diving, no matter what time of year, is considered by most to be in the Andaman.

Why not mix it up a bit and get some experience in different conditions. You could try your DM on Pulau Weh (Enjoy your diving with Lumba Lumba Diving Centre, Pulau Weh (Weh Island), Aceh, Sumatra, Indonesia, then hit Thailand for your IDC a little later (www.idcthailand.net)

Pulau Weh's a great little island, with no 'bar-hopping', just excellent diving (includiong the house reef) and a great chilled atmosphere. Then diving conditions can be challenging with regards to currents, so you will learn a lot.

Hi Scubasully,
Like you, my rebel partying days are behind me (I'm in my late 30's) and I did a LOT of research when deciding on where to do my IDC. I finally settled on Dive Asia in Kata Beach (on Phuket). Reports indicate the Kata is much more relaxed than the main tourist area of Patong Beach - which has the majority of bars and discos.
Dive Asia offers some very nice package deals - for all levels of instruction. The main draw for me came down to price. I'll be able to do the entire MSDT with most food and lodging included for what it would cost to do just the IDC here locally. By using frequent flyer tickets to get there, it becomes a VERY reasonable trip.
My IDC begins in April and I'll be there about 3 weeks. If I remember this thread, I'll write a review when I get back.

BTW - If you pre-study, you can finish your DM in no time. I believe Dive Asia has an 8 or 9-day program. Which means you could easily fit in the IDC right afterward, if you wanted.
Here's the direct link to that portion of their website:
PADI divemaster and IDC programs in Phuket Thailand with Dive Asia
- Hope this helps.

Whatever you decide, have fun!

Gosh, Twebba, I've just left Denver after a week there (currently at Bangkok airport for a flight to Phuket on the last segment of my jouney home). If I'd seen your reply while I was there I would have gladly sat with you over a beer to talk about your upcoming stay on our island. Oh well... When do you get to Phuket?

Hi Quero,
I leave here on the evening of April 7th and arrive there on the afternoon of the 9th.

BTW - I checked out your site. Very nice! I've noticed you're not real pushy with your posts and sales tactics. (Something I think a lot of people here on SB can learn from.) If you're up for it, I'd love to grab a local beer with you while I'm there. I'm very excited about the IDC program and about visiting Phuket in general. I'm always interested in local tips & cultural advice.
I'll PM you with some better contact info.
- Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom