Equalizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan V

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm having some trouble equilizing my ears. Now I have not done my open water yet only the pool lessons. Is it easier in open water? I try to equilize before and during my decent by holding my nose and breathing out but they don't "pop". I've tried swallowing and rotating my jaw and still no "pop". Any other idies? :shakehead:

Equalise early and often, and if you have trouble ascend a little and try again until you resolve the problem is what I was taught.

Another thing to try is tilt your head to the side so the ear you are having problems with is pointing to the surface (assuming you are vertical in the water column) this will straighten your eustachian tube and should make it easier to equalise.

It's exactly the same in open as in the pool.

A few tips...

The most common method of equalization is the Valsalva Maneuver. Named for Antonio Valsalva, this technique involves pinching off the nostrils and blowing gently into the nose. Never blow forcefully while attempting this method as a too forceful Valsalva Maneuver can result in the rupture of the eardrum, round window or oval window. This will usually result in immediate vertigo and hearing loss, which can be permanent.

The Frenzel Maneuver was named for developer, Herman Frenzel of the Luftwaffe in World War II. This method is preformed by closing off the vocal cords, pinching the nostrils and an effort is made to make a "guh" sound.

The Toynbee Maneuver is simply pinching of the nostrils while swallowing.

Beance Tubaire Voluntaire (BTV) or Voluntary Tubal Opening is the preferred method of equalization once mastered. It feels very much like a yawn and a difference in tonal quality of sounds will be noticed when successful. The muscles of the upper throat are used to pull open the Eustachian tube.

You should employ equalization techniques immediately upon descent and continue them regularly on descent. If any pain is experienced, you should ascend until all pain disappears and begin again.

Often divers find it useful to chew gum or eat foods such as apples or carrots prior to diving. You should not attempt to chew gum or eat while diving.

Another equalization technique divers find helpful is to gently massage the area under the ear, just behind the jaw while using one of the above mentioned methods.

It won't be easier in open water, unfortunately.

Another method - safer than blowing from your diaphragm against your nose - is to flex your throat muscles kind of like you are holding back a yawn.... Hard to describe, but work at it - even just sitting at your desk, you should feel/hear your eustastian tubes clearing.......

Equalize on each breath going down - I do.

Good luck

Start by practicing on the surface, by holding your nose and swallowing, or blowing gently (valsalva Maneuver). You should feel or hear a flutter in your ears as the pressure change moves the ear drum. Assuming that works, and you get comfortable doing it at will, you should be able to replicate it in the water under the proper conditions.

The limiting factor for most newbies encounter is depth change. The problem is that they simply wait too long to start equalizing and by the time they think about it, they're fighting an uphill battle. You'll hear the phrase equalize early and often repeated by experienced divers, but probably don't grasp how early or often.

You can't start too soon, because as you descend the external pressure on your eustachian tubes begins to press them closed, the same way that the vacuum collapses a straw when you try to drink a thick shake too fast.

Non-pressuring techniques only work up to a difference of a few feet, and after 4 feet you'll need pressure techniques like the Valsalva Maneuver. Beyond 8 or 9 feet of unequalized depth change your tubes will be squeezed flat and equalization will be next to impossible. BTW that's about the depth change at which most people feel mild pain.

So don't wait to feel the pressure difference, start equalizing the moment you start descending, and continue to equalize as fast as you can, staying ahead of or at least equal with your descent rate. If you feel pressure, go back up until equalized and start again.

By the way, equalization is a skill which needs to be learned and practiced. It doesn't always come automatically, and there are many techniques available, with each diver having his favorites, but nothing solves the problem caused by waiting too long.

Lastly, when on actual dives resist the temptation to chase the instructor or other divers down (it'll be a strong urge), and let your ears be the boss. If you can't equalize as fast as you descend, descend as slow as you can equalize.

My daughter had a problem with equilising and a dive doctor diagnosed that her tubes protrude into her throat so when she tries to pressurise them they pinch closed, she now uses the swallowing technique described earlier & has no problems, also do as suggested & only descend as fast as your ears allow!

hhhhmmm... i don't know how to explain this but what i do is somewhat like trying to make your ears move :D moving the muscles inside your ear drums or something... well that's just me :)

I also had some trouble figuring this out last year during pool sessions before the Open Water checkout dives.

Both don Fransicso and Walter hit on the important keys; there is also some good information on the DAN website. In particular "The Divers Complete Guide To the Ear" was helpful when I was trying to figure this out, as it also illustrated the physiology of the ear in addition to describing several methods for equalizing.

Good skill in your confined and open water training!

This is all fantastic information. I had my first pool session last week and was AMAZED at the pressure that can be created at such shallow depths (10-12 feet) I equalized my ears on the way down, but this week I am going to start to get into the habit of doing so as soon as I begin to descend. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom