Halcyon Backplate and wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DSS has good gear at good prices and their customer service can't be beat. After I placed an order recently, Tobin called me to check on it, and ended up talking me out of an expensive option that he didn't think I would need. Now that's good service!

$800 + tax for a rig is bananas, in my opinion. And I even HAVE a Halcyon setup--though I bought it used. It's good stuff, but c'mon. Buy a more reasonably priced setup and put the money you save towards a good light. :)

ScubaToys is haveing a closeout on DiveRite wings at USD$159 and their DiveRite alu bp with hog harness cost around USD$120..all in all thats around USD$280 for a complete set up (provided no STA is required)...and DiveRite makes some top quality gear too!

DiveRite made good gear once upon a time...

This is solid advice. If your worried about costs focus on a reg and a light!

"Buy a more reasonably priced setup and put the money you save towards a good light. "

I have both, Halcyon and the Frog (google for frog dive gear)

The frog is cheaper, better & c00ler:cool3:

This will seem biased, but having used and sold most of the brands mentioned, the Halcyon equipment is worth it's weight and price. There are cheaper options, but the customer service and quality behind the product are worth it in the long run.

Also remember that Halcyon dealers are kept to strict pricing rules so if you find someone selling the same system for less, they're not an authorized dealer (or are breaking their agreement).

I am running that Halcyon special online as well (link in my sig); its well worth it to get the free weight pockets and $99 doubles wing with the Eclipse system. Halcyon never runs these specials, and even if you don't want the doubles wing right now, you can buy it and probably turn around and sell it for more than the $99 you paid for it! Halcyon is running that promo for a few more weeks.

Happy diving wherever your equipment takes you!

...well, while I do use some Halcyon bits (SPG's.....weight systems...mask pockets...SMB's...Scout lights) I see Halcyon as, in most respects, no better than the other 'top' techie brands.....I'm running Oxycheq Extreme wings, which are VASTLY superior, IMHO, to Halcyon....Halcyon doesn't even offer a 'dual bladder' wing, much less anything made of the 'Extreme' 'armored fabric, for example. Right now I'm assembling a BP/wing (Deepoutdoors/Oxycheq)....and I'm adding 4 Halcyon Mask Pockets + 4 (5 lbs) vertical weight pockets to the unit....and just that Halcyon stuff I'm tacking on comes out to $ 700 !!! ...that's as much as you're spending on the Halcyon BP/wing set-up you're contemplating ! ...a SINGLE Halcyon mask pocket is running almost $ 100 U.S. !!!

Once I asked my Local Halcyon dealer why the brand is so expensive...he responded Halcyon stufff is 'Blessed by Neptune!" ...SERIOUSLY said that to me...he was kidding of course, but as good an answer as any!

heck, ScubaToys is listing a 2009 Zeagle Ranger LTD at almost $ 800 U.S. ...that's WAY overpriced too.....(still have my original BC in the closet...a regular Ranger...bought off E-bay new).....so overall so much scuba gear seems WAY overpriced, especially given the state of the world economy these days.

I'm running Oxycheq Extreme wings, which are VASTLY superior, IMHO, to Halcyon....Halcyon doesn't even offer a 'dual bladder' wing, much less anything made of the 'Extreme' 'armored fabric, for example.

Halcyon mainly produces gear for DIR-style diving, which advocates not using a dual-bladder wing.

While the "extreme fabric" wings from Oxycheq are probably nice, a razor-blade attack underwater is the last thing I'm worried about.

We sell all of these brands....
Thanks again for the slap straps, I wore one all week on Roatan and someone else wore one on my loaner mask. I tried the Jets against the Slipstreams and Hollis fins and the Jets won out. I just need some boots that aren't as quite as tall as the SP molded boots. I do need another set of those Pioneer spring straps, they work much better than the OMS springstraps (even on the Slipstreams, go figure)...

John_B

As many said before, probably Halcyon doesn`t worth the extra money, you pay the name as well, no doubt it is top class equipment, I have many H items, but many others are less costly working just as fine, having equivalent quality.

I would say however that regarding DIR configuration, Halcyon is focused on DIR, but that doesn`t mean that only H is DIR. I follow DIR configuration (because I am confortable with, but I respect all other ideas, important is the diving skill, configuration is personal preference) and about half of my equipment is not Halcyon, exactly because of the extra money, I`m pretty sure all my equipment is high quality and trustable.

Remember, DIR is a configuration philosofy, not a brand philosofy

BRdgs, BJ

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom