Survival rate of divers getting air embolisms or DCS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:popcorn:

Define survival.

IMHO, being brain dead or damaged and suck in a hospital bed for the rest of my useless life doesn't meet my definition, that's for sure.

Ok, for those who survive, how many make a recovery without being stuck in a hospital bed or brain dead? Is DCS more likely to be survivable whereas an embolism is not?

Define survival.

IMHO, being brain dead or damaged and suck in a hospital bed for the rest of my useless life doesn't meet my definition, that's for sure.

DAN would have some more accurate descriptions but having worked in diving for many years now and with numerous chambers etc If the diver just had DCS no embolism involved survival rates are close to 100%. DCS by itself usually doesn't kill people, although in severe cases it can cause permanent disability or in very rare cases death. Most people who suffer a DCS hit after a ride or two in the chamber walk away fine. Now when embolism is involved the death rate rises and the severity of symptoms and disability after treatment rate rises also.

Let us know what DAN says - I'm curious too.....

Simple answer- DCS is probably close to 100% survivable, AGE probably in the mid to high 90% range. The faster the victim is placed on oxygen and the faster they receive hyperbaric treatment the better the outcomes.

Hey Tom (TC), some stats from my Mainland Chamber Course in '06:
Quote:Cases from 1995 thru 2000
Of 154 Divers Brought to the Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber:
76 (49%) Recompressed:
43 (57%) of which were DCS related
33 (43%) of which were Air Embolism related

78 (51%) Not Recompressed:
23 (29%) Rule Out AGE
23 (29%) Rule Out DCS
19 (24%) Near Drowning
9 (12%) Drowning
4 (5%) AGE/DCS Refused Treatment Against Medical Advice

19 (12%) Full Arrest --Fatalities
All in all, the most important factor in suspected DCS/AGE is this: if the victim arrives at the Chamber without a pulse, chances are that the victim/body will be transported from the Chamber after treatment without a pulse. . .

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom