Anyone using PDIS w/ Galileo Sol?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As i understand it, the 2 minute factor equates to the time it takes (on average I guess) to cycle all your blood through your body. Stopping above a specified depth (1/2 max) for two minutes provides your body with the best chance to off-gassing and allowing Nitrogen to be managed by your body.

I have the Manual on PDF, I'll copy paste some extracts in a moment.

Regards

Richard

OK Here is the official technical info on PDIS from UWATEC.

PDIS interprets your dive profile and calculates an intermediate stop as a function of the nitrogen uptake your body has endured so far. This type of intermediate stop allows your body to reduce on gassing and slowly release nitrogen while you continue cruising along and enjoy your dive.

PDIS also optimizes the time you spend underwater. By making a proposed intermediate stop you give your body time to desaturate the main tissues while you continue diving, without prolonging any necessary deco stops. This is safer for your body and makes for a more pleasurable dive

Although a trend towards Deep stops has infiltrated the dive computer industry, UWATEC has responded with real science. UWATEC intermediate stops take key elements into the equation and actually incorporate your profile into the calculation, considering:

• Nitrogen accumulated from the ongoing dive
  • Nitrogen accumulated from previous dives (repetitive diving dependent),
  • Type of breathing mixes you use
Conventional deep stops completely ignore these factors.

The PDI stop is calculated as the depth where the leading tissue for the decompression calculation is off gassing. The computer advises the diver to make a 2 minute stop just above the depth displayed on the computer. Galileo then starts a 2 minute countdown.

During the PDI stop the leading tissue in your body is releasing nitrogen, which combined with the relatively high ambient pressure, inhibits bubble growth. PDIS is an added safety feature which can be followed during both no-stop and decompression dives. With Galileo you have the choice to follow your PDIS recommendation or you can turn it off and dive using our core adaptive algorithm.

I hope this clears some stuff up.

Best Regards

Richard

MMM: thanks. Follow-up ques: are you diving PDIS w/ NDL or deco profiles? Also, are you using it deeper (than MattS) and if so, what do you like/dislike compared to your experience doing Pyle-type half stops?

MMM/MattS: I find the more 'stuff' I use the more alarms/warnings I get - do you guys just beep alot and ignore it, or turn off most of the alarms?

I am diving both NDL and deco profiles. I really haven't noticed anything different from any other half stops I've done previously. Yes, this computer ha lots of alarms. I don't use any that are optional.

I have all of Galileo's alarms on except workload, I think. I never hear them because I never trigger them.

Depth? I have it set to 100 as a reminder, but I almost never have occasion to go that deep.

Gas/NDL/RBT? I dive a 120 cu ft tank and get cold or bored long before I run out of gas or NDL. I left a low RBT alarm on as a safety net but I never get close to it. (I never really plan to use the magical RBT number, I leave it on for curiosity.)

PDIS? OK, these should be on but for some reason I don't remember hearing them... I notice PDIS data on the screen instead. I should check the setting in my computer.

Pressure signal? I see a few moments where the pressure signal is lost in my dive logs, but it never craps out to the point where the alarm goes off.

Scuba.dude: my avatar is a screen capture from the opening credits of "The Venture Brothers" on Cartoon Network. It's kind of a spoof of the old Johnny Quest cartoon.

Riger: great info! Can you advise a link to the .pdf (or post it here)?

MMM: thanks.

MattS: You never trigger them?? Careful, you're approaching role model status :wink: Is the wrongcrowd gallery all you, or just bits?

Tanks,
scuba.dude

That's my web site, so it's all me other than a few pics.

The PDIS info should've been in the box that you bought your in.
Is governed by the leading tissue compartment, as richard posted.
If it's annoying you with beeps, confusing you on the display, or you just don't get it, then turn it off.
Throw in your own deep stop as half your max depth then ascend as per the computer.
PDIS has nothing to do with the PMG upgrade.

Good thoughts. I'm hopeful Riger can advise a link or simply fwd a softcopy of the manual because I tend to remember to pull my tables out of my gear bag as I begin my dive planning at 25,000 feet en route to my destination. Curiously, most airlines have but don't publish the regulation forbidding passengers in the hold :wink: In fact, this was the impetus for creating an Excel version of tables, nitrox calculator, etc.

Tanks,
scuba.dude

I just recently purchased the pro deal, and have been studying the PDIS Booklet. I am not sure if I should use it or not. I don't ever feel funny, but one can ask the question, will I ever know until it happens, aside from the usual symptoms.

I am aware of the safety margin that this provides though.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom