Langkawi, Dec 03

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SPlainsDiver

Registered
Reaction score
Howdy!

I will be visiting Malaysia next month and plan to go diving while I'm in Langkawi. Is there a LDS there that you would recommend?

Huey

SPlainsDiver

I just checked the PADI website and only saw two Dive Operators listed. We were on Langkawi for 2 weeks about 3 tears ago and there wasn't much diving on the island. However, the main island is surrounded by hundreads of others and I expect that there is some reasonable diving. Vis should certainly be good in many places. Enjoy your trip.

regards

http://seatrek.com.my

they're based in penang. and arrange boat trips out to payar island from penang island. IIRC it's USD 60'ish excluding wetsuit (another 5 bucks). lunch, boat fare all in.

see if you could wangle a pick-up from your hotel - i know he does that for some of his overseas clients.

oh, my pic is on the website :)

I used to live in Langkawi for three years and there is very little diving in the area.

Where are you staying on the Island. It does not make much difference as the local dive shops will pick you up.

The dive shop I worked for was Pro Dive. They are based in Pantai Cenang (Chenang Beach) Very good operation.

They are the only dive shop to go to both dive sites.

Pulau Payar is the main dive site, and it is very good. But there will be hundreds of snorkellers and thousands of Japanese. This does not really affect you as you will be underwater and they will be making froth on the surface

after the first dive you will be taken to the beach and there you can feed the baby black tip sharks and snorkle. Maybe see George the HUGE iguana (6 foot)

Then the second dive (dependant on weather) will be either around the wrecks or under the platform. Go to the wrecks if you can ... viz is about 10-12 metres but you can see adult black-tip sharks 9 times out of ten.

The other, much better dive site is Segantang. But they can only go there if
a) There are only divers on the boat (there is no where to land, so you are on the boat
b) the weather is calm
c) they get port permission to go.
It is phenomenal! Viz is better, the marine life is pretty much undisturbed and we have seen a pod of 40 pilot whales there.

On the way home they will go hunting for pink dolphins so that you can watch them. Cant get anywhere near them as they are too nervous but the leader of the pod is bright pink, you can see them a long way away

Also you may get to see Tasik Dayang Bunting (The lake of the pregnant maiden) It is a fresh water lake inside an island in the middle of the sea. Lots of fun.

Then a slow ride home to enjoy the sunset.

The owner's name is Andrew Lee (PADI Course Director), and the boat skipper is Sharreef (nutty as a fruit cake) both good guys.

If you fancy a bit of scary bed time reading ... then check this out.
http://www.dsproffitt.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/home/Stories/Bubba home.htm

Generally Langkawi is an idyllic island with great people and superb food. If you want to PM me with where you are staying then I can give you a list of restaurants to eat in, things to do, and people to say hello to.

1. watch out for the monkeys. These are little sharp teethed monsters who hand around many of the public beaches and wii try and grab cameras, bags, food etc. Stay away from them - they are a bloody nuisance and if you get bitten you will need to see a doctor asap if not go to Hospital.

2. Belusihi's tale shows the other side of life in Langkawi. Officially Malaysia is "dry" but all the bars serve beer, spirits etc. The local muslim population aren't meant to drink alcohol but many of them are just two faced about it - they come into the bars by the back door. Just remember to keep your nose clean and as a tourist you shouldn't have any problem.

Finally it is a pretty island but I would never go back there.

Have a good time.

regards

Thank you all for your suggestions and information.

I just found out that I’m going to Malaysia a little over a week ago and still haven’t get the dates that I will be in Langkawi. This won’t be a trip that I can dedicate a lot of time to diving. :( I’m hoping that I can find a day or two off for some two tank dives.

Lanun, thanks for your suggestion. I wish I can take the time off for the liveabaord trips SeaTrek offers.

Belushi, I checked out Pro Dive’s website and see that they offer day trips to Pulau Payar Marine Park. Looks good and I hope this is what I’m looking for. Thanks.

Ah, Welshman, I will sure to stay away from the monkeys and keep my nose clean.

Thanks again.

Huey

Huey,

I was there with my family a few years back, over Xmas. Beware the vis. is awful at PP at this time of year. Huge plankton blooms. We spent a week diving and never got better than 10M sometimes down to 1 or 2M.

Maybe one of the other posters can advise on the best sites to dive during this time. Coral Garden, I think, was the name of the site we dived with the best vis.

Good luck !

Back
Top Bottom