Dive Haven, decent diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BORG

Contributor
Reaction score
Tucker, Georgia, just northeast of Atlanta
# of dives
100 - 199
I was looking on the PADI AOW checkout dive schedule for Divers Supply and noticed they are doing their AOW checkout dives at Dive Haven this summer on the weekends. I'm going to take the time and get mine finally done this summer.
I've never dove there before. How is it vis wise? I know it has got to be better than Lanier.
Any experiences you've had would be helpful. Any pics taken underwater there would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Vis is usually good down to about 25 to 30 feet, then it gets icky. Not unlike Lanier.

Hi, K!
So doing a AOW deep checkout dive there would be like going into a bowl of pea soup at the 90-100ft. depth. Basically, a blackout, lights required as far as vis is concerned is what I'm hearing from you.
I guess I would follow a descent line down to those depths and do my skills with the instructor and then head back up.
Oh well, at least there are no boats to be concerned about on surfacing.
Thanks, K.

Well, when we're inland, it's about the best we can do.

Might want to check out ABWA and see what the going vis is over there in Pelham.

Loch-Low-Minn has good vis, but you max out at 75 feet.

Really not deep enough, IN MY OPINION, for what I consider a proper deep water checkout.

the K

when you hit 55-60 feet it used to clear up nicely. different now D?

Vis is usually good down to about 25 to 30 feet, then it gets icky. Not unlike Lanier.
My experience also.

Hi, K!
So doing a AOW deep checkout dive there would be like going into a bowl of pea soup at the 90-100ft. depth. Basically, a blackout, lights required as far as vis is concerned is what I'm hearing from you.....
It was more like diving creamed coffee with a little bit of Mt. Dew mixed in. A light would likely enhance the effect until hitting bottom. I have heard lately the vis picks up a bit near bottom.

Well, when we're inland, it's about the best we can do. Might want to check out ABWA and see what the going vis is over there in Pelham. Loch-Low-Minn has good vis, but you max out at 75 feet.
Really not deep enough, IN MY OPINION, for what I consider a proper deep water checkout.
the K
I'll second that. I want to get my AOW, but the LDS doesn't want to do the dives at Dive Haven or Pelham. They want to sign me up for the "Mighty O", and I just can't afford that extra expense.

My daughter's boyfriend wants me to go with him for his OW checkout dive trip. They are scheduled to go to the Blue Grotto in a month or two. Maybe it will be deep enough for the PADI AOW Deep Checkout dive. We'll see.

Yeah, some dive shops seem to really like doing checkout dives where they want to dive and to add a bit more money to the coffers.

It's my opinion that some like to do this because they can pad the costs enough to cover their own diving expenses.

Just my opinion, but then I'm a cynic.

When one is an independent instructor, as I, one must give careful consideration to such things because the cost of instruction is greater in the outset.

the K

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom