Is Rescue Diver course worth doing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A rescue course will serve you well.

However. you need to dive more. The knowledge gained by taking a rescue course is important for your skill set. Anything can happen on a dive. With lesser experienced divers and even with the more seasoned ones....Knowing what to do in any given situation is essential to any skill set.

Maintaining those skills is even more important. If you never practiced those learned skills, they will only be a thought. no more no less. we forget by not doing.

The next step is gear. get your gear. As everyone will state...you dive more when you have your own stuff.

If money is an issue. In most cases it is. Then go for your gear first. Then find yourself a mentor. A diver with many many dives under there belt. Not resort divers that dive once in a blue vacation but have been diving that way for several years. I mean a seasoned diver that dives 100-300 dives a year in multiple conditions...nothing like that kind of dive experience to follow in there fins...:wink:.

Then when time comes..hit the rescue course.

safe dives

Stephen

Highly recommended for all divers.

Rescue class is less about diving than it is about recognizing events that can lead to an accident ... giving you the opportunity to do something to help yourself or another diver to prevent the accident from ever happening.

It'll definitely influence how you think about diving.

To my concern, it's the most useful class a recreational diver can take.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yup.. what he said... 100%.:idhitit:

Gear rental varies from place to place (heck in Subic Bay PH any gear you needed was included in the $20 per dive) but you are paying for gear already, it's someone else's gear though.

I've already purchased all of my gear including two AL80 Cylinders & a AL30 Pony Bottle setup but I have "issues" that are reduced by me having ownership of my gear and thus having a greater level of confidence in it.

On my honeymoon my wife had a rental fin break underwater! This was on her final Cert dive, I'll say I was happy she was using BCD, Reg Set & Mask that we owned.

The gear will pay for itself in time as you'll spend less renting gear.

Agree with what others have already posted. I told non-diving friends who did not understand why I would take a Rescue course that it's akin to "Defensive driving" course for diving and divers.

Rescue is awesome. But get gear first so you can dive more and get more out of rescue when you do take it.

I'll be the desenter. While it was a great course, it is a different course so understand that...it was more work then play at times. Perhaps I had a bad instructor I don't know. I am not sure I would do it again or just spend my money on diving.

I think for me, the fact that as the instructor was handing out the cards at the end of the course he said 'congrads, now you can all be sued should something go wrong on a dive.' and then explained the liability. I know the possiblility is slim but I think he should have given us that speech before taking the course.
Agree; its a "serious" course in that much of it deals with what the name implies - it teaches you how to assist someone in distress and perhaps save a life. Also makes you focus on things that can go wrong, and ways to assist if this is the case - while I found the course valuable, and very worthwhile, it was not "fun". It was serious and a lot of work.

Also, I don't think your instructors comments were on the money re being sued (I'm being polite here; I think his comments were dumb, and if this were true, it would be a part of every rescue course and to the best of my knowledge and experience, are not) -

Just because you have this designation and an accident were to happen and you were present, does not mean you are culpable.

I was on a dive a few years ago when a diver died, and no one on the boat - including his buddy - were ever sued or even brought into a lawsuit; I have Rescue Diver certification - the owner of the dive shop - don't know for sure, but they are still in business.

Just a tragic accident; later found he suffered a diabetic coma at depth and drowned.

Its a great course to take, i always have thought it funny that we can be "Advance ow divers" and not know CPR.... isnt that something that might come up if something were to go wrong, when people are breathin 130ft underwater?

Rescue is a great class to take. The only thing you are better off spending money on is more time in the water. If taking the class means you won't be able to afford to dive for 4 months, I would re-think it, but otherwise, go for it.

Tom

I believe Stress Rescue is the single most important course any diver can take. I believe it separates people who are not serious from those who are.

It will make you more confident and safer, but if taught correctly, also make you look at diving differently. Plus, it's a truly enjoyable course.

Jeff

Hi guys ive only been diving for a couple of years and logged about 28 dives. Did my AOW last year which basicly covers me depth wise for all diving I want to do as only really dive on holiday. Heard a few people say rescue was worthwhile. Have limited cash so not sure if I should go for the rescue diver course or spend my money on trying to buy some equitment(currently only use rental) and more diving ? Would appreciate any input
cheers
Mick

I would go for the equipment, but others may think different and are also right.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom