First time in Cozumel, sort of.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Lori

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My fella and I are going to Cozumel for a long weekend in June. He's never been, I was there for one day on a cruise ship in the 90's, so that doesn't really count either. We're staying at Villa Blanca. As for changing some USD to pesos, where should we go? ATM at airport? ATM close to Villa Blanca?

Let me know please, thanks!

My fella and I are going to Cozumel for a long weekend in June. He's never been, I was there for one day on a cruise ship in the 90's, so that doesn't really count either. We're staying at Villa Blanca. As for changing some USD to pesos, where should we go? ATM at airport? ATM close to Villa Blanca?

Let me know please, thanks!

It doesn't matter. I don't know specifically of an ATM at/near Villablanca, but there is a convenience store a little ways to the south that may have one. If you need pesos immediately, then the one at the airport is convenient.

There are ATM's along Melgar (the main drag next to the water) in town and at both the big grocery stores (Chedraui and Mega).

Enjoy your trip! Next time you will stay longer, I am certain.

The banks on the plaza have atms also.
If you are bring usd with you try the office on 30th between 7 and hidalgo (spelling?) It is next to a Usa cell office. It is also will exchange amx travelers checks. They have an other office in punta langosta

Please correct me, would I need pesos or can I use USD for cabs, the Chadurai, restaurants and dive shops.

Please correct me, would I need pesos or can I use USD for cabs, the Chadurai, restaurants and dive shops.
You can use dollars virtually anywhere on Cozumel, easily including all the places you mention. Some places though (cabs in particular) are a better deal if you use pesos. I use dollars (tarvelers' cheques) for hotel, dive shop, and fishing boat bills, pesos from the ATMs for the rest.

Dollars are accepted everywhere but often you will not get a favorable exchange rate. Lots of ATMs around so use them to draw pesos from you US account. I think the closest ATM to villa blanca would be Chedraui about 15 min walk to the north. If you go south the OXXO (like a 7-11) also has one. CCs are not accepted everywhere and often there can be a surcharge for using them.

I believe most banks are not changing U/S money, you need your passport photocopied for the ones that do. The cambios (exchange house)are easy to find. Banamex downtown is the one that usually gives the best rate, at least when I was there last in March.
By the way drop into Scubamau and say hi to Opal for me. You will love her hospitality. I hope your trip is a blast. kevin

Dollars are accepted everywhere but often you will not get a favorable exchange rate. Lots of ATMs around so use them to draw pesos from you US account. I think the closest ATM to villa blanca would be Chedraui about 15 min walk to the north. If you go south the OXXO (like a 7-11) also has one. CCs are not accepted everywhere and often there can be a surcharge for using them.

If OXXO has one I'm pretty sure it's a lot closer to Villablanca than is Chedraui.

Yup, OXXO has a ATM. The little convenience store at VB also used to have one (or I think they did). Go to OXXO for any drinks and snacks. The shop at the hotel is overpriced.

OXXO looks like 7-11 but prices are that off from the grocery stores and it's a lot more convenient then heading to Mega or Chedraui if you're at a VB and just staying a few days.

Lori, if you can swing through EWR or LGA and pick me up on your way, I'll be happy to show you the ropes of how to have a great dive trip in Cozumel. ; )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom