May-Jul. NZ Diving Rec's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisF1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all. I will be traveling to Wellington for the next several months for work. I'm hoping to make the most out of my trip by doing a Cairns liveaboard (probably Mike Ball in July) as well as some diving near Auckland. I am a relatively inexperienced diver with only around 20 dives in Cozumel, Rangiroa, Tahaa and Riatea. Given my base, I will likely have to make weekend trips from Wellington to Auckland and then drive north and find a hotel for the weekend. I am mostly looking for good fun dives with lots of color and sea life, preferably from a boat but shore is fine too. Also of note is that I will be traveling solo (no buddy with me).

So far the info is a little overwhelming. I would love any suggestions for specific places to dive, preferred operators and approximations of drive time from the Auckland airport to the recommended dive sites.

Any and all information will be appreciated.

Cheers!

You'll have a great time, there's not only good diving in the north of the country but also around Wellington itself - the shore diving there is very convenient!

Expect cooler (ok, cold) water. In the north, it's already started dropping and is down to around 18 degC, by the time we hit July it will be likely around the 14-16 degC mark. Wellington is a bit more variable, it was supposedly 12 degC there last weekend and could easily get down to the 8 degC mark.

Unmissable dive sites are the Poor Knights islands - roughly three hours drive from Auckland. There are plenty of charters to look in to, as a travelling diver it's hard to beat Dive! Tutukaka - they are very well set up, and their dive guides are great for pointing out things that you would normally miss. You could also think about a weekend liveaboard option - check out Ocean Blue and Pacific Hideaway, both of whom offer great service.

Closer to Auckland, you could check out Goat Island Dive who offer trips in the Hauraki Gulf (1 hr from Auckland).... dives sites in the gulf can be a bit hit and miss at times. Probably my personal favourites are Sail Rock and the Mokohinaus Islands.

Drop me a PM and I can put you in touch with some active divers in Wellington - they doa lot of midweek night diving during winter, and are a sociable group who welcome new divers with open arms.

Andys given you all the goods but if you send us a note/post/message when you arrive, one or several of us will be around to buddy up with you if you like!

I'd echo Andy, while the Poor Knights are not to be missed there is lots of good shore diving around Wellington - you can also dive off day boats but it is cheaper and good from the shore. It is pretty straightforward diving - cool at that time of year 12 - 14 Celcius. While there can be a bit of surge current is unusual on a shore dive.

There are a lot of us on this board who dive in Wellington whenever the conditions are suitable, and being a single isn't a problem as we will buddy people up.

Send me a PM if you'd like to get involved in the Welly scene.

Alison

Thank you all so much for the information. I will be in Wellington this weekend and will PM for more info.

Hi all. Landed this AM and am trying to sort out an apartment and my first week of work. Hopefully after that I can sort out a little free time to dive.

One more question to the posters: for diving in Wellington, what type of wetsuits are you using (thickness wise)? Sounds like the water is pretty chilly. :)

Hi Chris.
I'm diving a one piece 5mm which is a bit on the chilly side now, I would be in my drysuit by now but it's getting the pockets fixed.. Most that aren't in drysuits by now seem to wear 7mm.

I'll be keen to head out and show you some sites here in Wellington. My work schedule is very flexible so I can get out pretty well whenever. Just flick me a PM.

Did you bring much gear over with you?

Bob:

Only brought the basics: mask, fins, snorkel and shortie 5 mil suit for the GBR. Would need all the rest of the gear. What dive shops to the locals like to use?

Thanks

Take your pick, I try and not have much at all to do with dive shops so have no allegiance.

There are 2 in Island bay. A quick google will find them and one in Petone..

I noticed there are a couple of shops /operators in Owhiru bay. Anyone specific recommendations for boat dives?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom