Does anybody still support Nikonos original?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still will dive my Nike III and V. You never need worry about batteries with the III and it will go as deep as you want.

I do have a Digital point & shoot in an Ike housing and just picked up the Ike DS-160 and got the Nikonos cord for it. The thing I am afraide off is the life expency of the modern DSLR's. Will the body still be good in 5-7 years? If not, I can keep the glass, but will I have to throw away the body and housing?

I would not hesitate to say that DSLR cameras can go at least 5-7 years, my guess is probably 10. We've seen plenty of beat to heck (cosmetically) D100 cameras that show a rough life and still work fine. Shutter activations will be a limiting factor, but this would be the same on a film SLR. The new DSLR cameras now look to be built even better now. The top end pro cameras are built to the highest standard and are made to withstand daily use (or abuse) and usually have their shutter activations rated in the 100,000-250,000 range.

Best regards,

Jim

Bob at Southern Nikonos in Texas is still in business, although his address has changed. He has moved his business into his home. I spoke with a few months ago, which reminds me, I need to box up my NikV and get it UPS'd off to him.

Underwater camera repair by Southern Nikonos

I would not hesitate to say that DSLR cameras can go at least 5-7 years, my guess is probably 10. We've seen plenty of beat to heck (cosmetically) D100 cameras that show a rough life and still work fine. Shutter activations will be a limiting factor, but this would be the same on a film SLR. The new DSLR cameras now look to be built even better now. The top end pro cameras are built to the highest standard and are made to withstand daily use (or abuse) and usually have their shutter activations rated in the 100,000-250,000 range.

Best regards,

Jim

What I was thinking more of is that over 5 to 7 years you are just about guaranteed to have a flood. If you do with the new DSLR's you throw away the camera and glass - well that is what insurance is for - but can you now get a good condition replacement body? Back in the film days, I could pick up a "new" 10 year old F3 and rock in a few days.

I have also seen some aging problems with the electronics, more in the consumer range, but it still worries me. I just don't want to be sitting on another well made $2000 housing and not be able to get a camera to fit it. I have a amphibico housing for a Sony 801 Hi8 video camera, anyone got a camera that I can use it for?

Another vote for southern nikonos. I send my camera and strobe to them for annual service.

This is who I've used, locally, to service my camera gear.
Mike Mesgleski Photography

I have the Nikonos V, with SB 105 strobe, and the much sought after 15mm lens, along with all the other lens and assorted accessories.

Willing to sell, if somebody is offering a good home.

Also have an older, Nikonos III, a virtually indestructible antique.

This is who I've used, locally, to service my camera gear.
Mike Mesgleski Photography

I have the Nikonos V, with SB 105 strobe, and the much sought after 15mm lens, along with all the other lens and assorted accessories.

Willing to sell, if somebody is offering a good home.

Also have an older, Nikonos III, a virtually indestructible antique.

Is that any way to talk about Mikey?

Back
Top Bottom