How much weight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have 2 5lbs, 2 3lbs, 2 2lbs, and 4 1lbs, but I'm about 4 pounds short for my drysuit I weigh approx 220. The usual calculation is about 10% of your body weight in lbs. Add about 10lbs for drysuit diving. This of course is not exact-but its a good starting off point. Good Luck.

I use a S/S backplate that weighs six pounds. On a recent trip to Cozumel I dove a 3mm wet suit with the back plate and steel tanks most days. The result? No weight at all. One day I dove AL80s, and I used a 3lb. weight.

Back up here in Ontario I wear a dry suit and always dive steel tanks. I have a 12 lb. single tank adaptor for the back plate, that's all the weight I need for Spring and Fall diving when I'm wearing heavy garments. In the Sumer, I thread two three pound weights onto my waist belt and ditch the single tank adaptor.

What I'm trying to suggest is that if you ever end up diving a back plate instead of a BCD, you may be able to get a lot of weight off your belt.

That's huge. You probably need only 16-18 pounds for a 7mm suit.

No way if you are in cold water. I dove in Kauai and dropped to 12 lbs. Went back to Seattle and haven't gone under 26 lbs with my dry suit.

No way if you are in cold water. I dove in Kauai and dropped to 12 lbs. Went back to Seattle and haven't gone under 26 lbs with my dry suit.

You took the weight out of context. I replied to the idea of using 30lbs with a 7mm, and you said that you use 26lbs with a dry suit. You cannot compare those two suits in terms of weighting.

Let's not get into arguments about who needs how much weight.

I would hazard a guess that most of us here have never personally seen each other, much less met, therefore we really can't be aware of a cyberbuddy's physical form and subsequently make an educated estimate of how much weight she or he needs to dive a particular rig.

However much weight it takes, well, that's how much it takes.

the K

Ho much weight do you own?
Do you carry on a dive?

& in what denomination (I think that word works here).

I'm figuring on getting 4 of each weight
5lb, 4lb, 3lb, 2lb, 1lb
But while that will enable me to make any weight combination I should ever need, I dont think I should tax my weight bag carying 60 pounds everywhere.

That's what I own devided equally in two bags for two divers. I have three divers in the family. I may have to break down and get another set for the third.

yeah, a second bag makes sense for days when I am wearing 7 mils.
and yeah, I do need 30# to sink with the 7 mil suit. In fact I had to yank on the colar & sleeves several times to release any and all trapped air to get down even with the 30.

Thanks all for your input.

I have 4-5lbs, 2-3lbs and 2-2lbs. I'm constantly re-adjusting for fresh vs salt. And 7mm vs 3mm vs dry. And steel tanks vs AL.

Thanks all. This is all helpful.
I know I need around 30 pounds with a 7 mil suit. Then different variations to be able to make any weight needed.
I bought my first bunch form here:
SOFT SCUBA DIVE WEIGHTS NEW SHOT 36 LBS FREE POSTAGE!!! - eBay (item 230337889532 end time Apr-22-09 20:29:07 PDT)
at only $3 S&H and an average of just a little over $2 per pound I figured this is a good start.

I don't know how he does it so cheap but that's a dang good price and he has good feedback.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom