How to keep a stainless steel knife from rusting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cranstonjdc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Anyone have any things they do to there stainless steel knives to prevent rusting?
I heard silicone does this work?

The best I have found is something called Break Free it is a cleaner lubrican and preservative. The military has used it for years on weapons and kinves. Wal mart or most gun and sporting good stores sell it.

Dry it after every dive. I know people that have used (and dove with) their old SS knives for years and years and all they had to do was dry it after every dive.

Quite frankly, I gave up trying to keep my knife rust-free. For the first few years I used to strip down my knife, clean it, relubricate with vaseline or silicone gease after every trip.
But then I decided I was just wasting my time. It was a tremendous effort just to avoid a small amount of rust that had no impact on its performance.
So now I just keep the dismountable handle well packed with vaseline and the rest just gets a quick rinse and dry after each usage.
I've been doing this for years now and while there are a couple of very small rust spots they're nothing significant.
Plus when I used to keep the blade covered in silicone or vaseline meant it was a pain when I wanted to use the knife during SI to cut or peel fruit.
Now it's no longer a problem.

i'd say as a joke : get yourself a titanium one :p

more seriously, most knives are not made of 316 SS (marine stainless steel) and the quality is getting worse every year. you could get some specific silicone which is comestible to give a very slight coating on it, else simply rinse and dry it well and don't repack it in it's case until the case is dry... you'll be fine.

After fours years diving with my Fogcutter I just rinse, air dry and spray liberally with WD-40. Not a spot, not a stain and it looks and works the same as the day I bought it.. The WD in WD-40 stands for Water Displacement so it gets into the tiny areas and moves the water out. Sounds simple and cheap but sometimes that's what works best.

more seriously, most knives are not made of 316 SS (marine stainless steel) and the quality is getting worse every year. you could get some specific silicone which is comestible to give a very slight coating on it, else simply rinse and dry it well and don't repack it in it's case until the case is dry... you'll be fine.

The important part that I forgot to mention as the poster above has is that once you have dried the knife off completely, do not "Stow it". Keep it out of the case until needed.

You are saying it as a joke; I'm w/ you 100%

Over the years I've had many steel knives that always rusted; bought a titanium one 2 years ago and its great; it was not real expensive; $80 I think.

Rinse it after every dive and thats it; stays harp too.

After fours years diving with my Fogcutter I just rinse, air dry and spray liberally with WD-40. Not a spot, not a stain and it looks and works the same as the day I bought it.. The WD in WD-40 stands for Water Displacement so it gets into the tiny areas and moves the water out. Sounds simple and cheap but sometimes that's what works best.

Exactly what I do - no problems.....

Take the handle apart once a year to check for rust under there......

Anyone have any things they do to there stainless steel knives to prevent rusting?
I heard silicone does this work?

Yup, don't dive with it. I'm not sure why they don't have sacrificial zinc on them. Spiderco make a new stainless metal knive with H1 stainless steel that isn't supposed to rust. I have a titanium knife that I don't have to bother with. Now if I could get a pair of titanium EMT shears - life would be good.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom