Freediver takes 12' Tiger Shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll bet around the time he put shaft #4 into the shark he started thinkng..."Why did I get myself into this?"

That would be my guess, but what else can you do if you want to get the shark into the boat? I guess Tiger's are edible. And, you'd want to be sure it's real dead before getting too close to its mouth.
I've had fish kicking in my cooler quite a while after I thought they were dead. One "dead" spanish mackerel managed to take a fair chunk of skin off the tip of my finger as I was getting him out to gut it.

Good point Hank, Once I had a gag grouper, who had been on ice for one hour, flip off of the dock while I was preparing to clean him. Of course he did not have much left at that point but it was fun to take a one-band shot on him from topside to bring him back up.

I still don't agree with what these guys did and contend they did it specifically to promote their business/video/whatever. Certainly there are times when I don't like sharks, and I've even had a few times when I wished they would leave me alone, but sharks are kings of the sea. The original underwater hunters and they deserve our respect, especially one that big and old.

Having had a discussion about this last night at a monthly meeting, it had me search the internet for video and pics of the "attack". I also did some research via the internet about tiger shark behavior. I did find that tiger sharks will eat about anything!
Although the patterns of behavior are hard to study because they are hard to track. Scientists have found that as the tiger shark grows, it's variety of prey increases with age. This was found by actual cutting open of shark bellies. They also found odd items in the stomach of said sharks, not typical food items. IE metal ; garbage and junk!
Scientists have also found that they are creatures of oportunity. Will eat a free meal!
Now I know these guys were spearing tuna. I do not know if any were on the stringer.
(READ blood in the water)

I did notice that the video I came across on you tube shows the "attacking animal"
circle. As this is found in the most curious of the gray shark species.(IE tiger sharks)
when it did circle and the scared person made a squeally shout the shark veered off!
Also the video went black at the time of the shot. I find it hard to believe that anyone was in danger due to the fact that they were still filming! Also they edited out the the video of the shot that was to protect his buddy, audio was still running! You can clearly hear the gun being shot, just after the squeal! What did they think they would offend someone with the footage? (Or is it BITS) I personaly would like to see all the footage, not edited, not blacked out!
But I too call it BULL SHI*!
And yes I spearfish so don't get in a tizzy. We just don't get many sharks in Jersey that hang around! Alright a dogfish or two but they don't count! I have been in the water with various other sharks in my travels. Never feeling like I was in danger.
I guess if that were the case I would have gotten out of the water! Come on the shark was blocking the way out! MORE BS!
See you topside! John

wow... nice thing to say about a person you know nothing about. I'm Canadian and dive every weekend, especially in the winter because the vis is better. They're called drysuits. Don't be a D!<k unless it's absolutely necessary.

I'll certainly second that.

"you all"? Are you talking about all of my personalities :D?

What about my post was me spreading propoganda pescador? I was simply responding to one poster's generalization about Canadians which was inappropriate. How about you? Are you perhaps looking to :stirpot:?

But this is JUST FOR YOU :D just so you can say you were right about me.

LOL! A little behind the 8-ball on this one, but just read the post and WTG Steve. Your personalities are awesome BTW :D Times like these I sure do miss my cdn boyz!

Hey Pescador, don't mind us...you know we get out of the igloos so seldom, we just gotta let loose.

Back
Top Bottom