Cold and Deep. Which Reg for the Pony??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Think about it this way. This regulator is potentionally going to save your hide. How much is your hide worth? Is this the time to be looking for the cheapest possible alternative??? I would think you would want something as good or better then your primary on your pony. YMMV

Here we go....the old classic. "How much is your life worth?" :shakehead:

What BS. Show me one shred of evidence that you're more likely to die with an inexpensive reg. Especially ironic in this thread because the "cheap" reg being discussed, the MK2, is one of the most reliable and proven regulators ever built. No dynamic o-rings subjected to HP air, 2 moving parts including the spring, and it can even tolerate flooding.

If money's an issue, you could look for a used MK2, and a used 109 metal 2nd stage, rebuild them, and have a totally bombproof pony reg that would out perform many expensive new regs. The unbalanced piston design will give you a little warning as the pony gets below 500 PSI.

But I guess my life is only worth used regulators.

I'd look for a newly-discontinued Aqualung Titan. I've had one to 130' and didn't feel like I was pushing the limits.

I have almost fallen the same way (cheaper) when I was looking for the reg for my pony. Eventually I got the same reg that I have on my primary. As it was stated above when I switch to the doubles eventually I can use it there as well.

The way I see it an OOA situation is going to make things happen rather quickly, hence your SAC rate is going to sky rocket.

I don't think I will notice the difference in a reg only that it deliver air and get me to the surface. I purchased a 19cf to get me to the surface from 100 feet which is what I do on my boat dives.

I had an extra Aqualung Legend LX ACD Supreme 1st stage and therefore connected it to the Egress Apeks octo, it's very streamline and will get the job done.

I placed a button gauge on it that I can see that it's full before I make my dive.

2s7cjl0.jpg

2w6apt2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom