Diving near Orlando?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm the guy that RTBNewGuy says must be narc'ed. (He and an alter ego have taken exception to something I said on another thread and have started following me around SB for the past day or so, ripping on my posts.)

I've dived WPB, Jupiter, Boyton, Pompano, Ft Lauderdale and many, many dives in the Keys. Knowing what little I can glean about you, steelsaint, if you are a new diver and are looking for a buddy then I'd want you to make sure you knew what you are getting yourself into. I've had some straightforward dives in Jupiter (and WPB and Boyton and Pompano) and others that were pretty challenging, based on conditions. The diving can be fantastic, but before I'd recommend WPB/Jupiter I'd want to know what your comfort level is with ripping currents and rough seas, as well as what your air consumption is like (if you have to surface early, you could be surfacing by yourself).

IMO there is a big difference between an instructor taking an OW student out in challenging conditions vs. sending a newish diver into the same challenging conditions on their own, possibly for the first time.

I'm diving this week but don't just take my word for it, their are people here who live here in the area and dive Jupiter/WPB every week. Anyone who is being honest with you will tell you these are awesome dives but can rapidly become advanced dives, even between descending and surfacing. If you are going out alone, maybe paying for a divemaster as a guide/buddy wouldn't be a bad idea...

There are also some great dives in Key Largo that aren't so advanced. If you haven't done that yet and can make the trip down and back fit into your schedule, that would still be my first recommendation. (Narc'ed or not.)

John_B

I'm the guy that RTBNewGuy says must be narc'ed. (He and an alter ego have taken exception to something I said on another thread and have started following me around SB for the past day or so, ripping on my posts.)

I've dived WPB, Jupiter, Boyton, Pompano, Ft Lauderdale and many, many dives in the Keys. Knowing what little I can glean about you, steelsaint, if you are a new diver and are looking for a buddy then I'd want you to make sure you knew what you are getting yourself into. I've had some straightforward dives in Jupiter (and WPB and Boyton and Pompano) and others that were pretty challenging, based on conditions. The diving can be fantastic, but before I'd recommend WPB/Jupiter I'd want to know what your comfort level is with ripping currents and rough seas, as well as what your air consumption is like (if you have to surface early, you could be surfacing by yourself).

IMO there is a big difference between an instructor taking an OW student out in challenging conditions vs. sending a newish diver into the same challenging conditions on their own, possibly for the first time.

I'm diving this week but don't just take my word for it, their are people here who live here in the area and dive Jupiter/WPB every week. Anyone who is being honest with you will tell you these are awesome dives but can rapidly become advanced dives, even between descending and surfacing. If you are going out alone, maybe paying for a divemaster as a guide/buddy wouldn't be a bad idea...

There are also some great dives in Key Largo that aren't so advanced. If you haven't done that yet and can make the trip down and back fit into your schedule, that would still be my first recommendation. (Narc'ed or not.)

John_B
Thanks. Most of the dives we have around where I am are quarries. I do have diving experience with wrecks in South Carolina, but I have no idea how they compare to FL waters. I really want to see some great reefs and have a great dive. When I do come down I was planning on hiring a divemaster to show me the great hot spots and the best spots for animal observation. Are the reefs all pretty much the same?

Those that say you should go to the Keys instead must be a little narced. Now if you were certified and shouldn't have been due to dive shop pressure on the instructor thats different but Jupiter and WPB offer some nice dives for newbies. WPB is more popular and therfore has more diveboats so it is easier to find one that will accomadate newer divers and not alienate others but that is the biggest difference.
I have certified hundreds of owdivers in WPB. They had sometimes 2 dives under their belt and sometimes none and thousands do check out dives there every year so for anyone to suggest you go elswhere for diving seems a little odd.
Now your pushing the 2 hour thing but whats an extra hour?
I no longer bring classes there and the operator I used has moved on but there are still some good ones i am sure. I promise any of the larger operations, while maybe a bit crowded at times, are used to all different levels of experience and can work you through any questions or issues you may have.
I have some experience. I guess I am still can be considered a newbie. But I am comfortable with my diving skill and could be consider an advanced diver. One of my concerns is getting on a dive boat where the crew and dive masters are more focused on their tans and trying to impress people with their title than actually helping the divers to have a great diving experience.(Can you tell this has happened to me before?) What reef would you recommend in either place? I am looking for sea life and a great dive.

Reef diving in and around Orlando? It's a cinch!

For plastic reefs, go to Epcot's Dive Quest

For ancient reefs you can head to Blue Spring, Alexander Springs and a plethora of other springs around the state! You won't see any Damsel fish there, but there are plenty of freshwater species and you might get a glimpse of a gator!

For living saltwater reefs, you can head either east or west. My favorite dive destination in the WHOLE WORLD is Boynton Beach, and there you can go on the UnderWater Explorer with ScubaKevDM or even the infamous Loggerhead, home of Captains John and Jim!

Let us know your plans, and you might even get some dive buddies out of this!

guys thanks for the replies, I was actually looking for a place myself, in or around Orlando in June. I got a reply from a dive op confirming that West Palm Beach the best option since I will be newly certified. Kinda gives me an option as to what dive ops that I should be looking into...
cheers

Reef diving in and around Orlando? It's a cinch!

For plastic reefs, go to Epcot's Dive Quest

For ancient reefs you can head to Blue Spring, Alexander Springs and a plethora of other springs around the state! You won't see any Damsel fish there, but there are plenty of freshwater species and you might get a glimpse of a gator!

For living saltwater reefs, you can head either east or west. My favorite dive destination in the WHOLE WORLD is Boynton Beach, and there you can go on the UnderWater Explorer with ScubaKevDM or even the infamous Loggerhead, home of Captains John and Jim!

Let us know your plans, and you might even get some dive buddies out of this!
Hey Great! Thanks this is a good start. What about Nitrox? Do either of this places offer it?

I am planning on making a trip down to Orlando, Florida in August. I am looking for a good dive shop or dive boat to go with near the Orlando area (within 2 hours or less).
I want to do some ocean reef or wreck diving.
Who would you recommend?
I can always use a buddy
and animal observation

Atlantic Ocean - SE, FL: is a longer drive, but has short boat rides. Blue water (avg. apprx. 60' vis., big reefs & lots of small pretty fish in Aug. Lots of wrecks, mostly 80' plus.

Gulf of Mexico - Tampa Bay, FL: shorter drive, but longer boat rides, (some divers like boats better than cars.) Blue/green water, (avg. apprx. 25' vis. in Aug.) short reefs & lots of big fish in Aug. Lots of wrecks from 40' plus.

Weather can kick your butt on either coast... or not.

Nitrox will help a lot for the 80' plus wrecks especially.

Lots of Gulf dive site information on my website.

Chad

I would head down to west palm area _ great drift diving on the reefs there _ i used force e dive shop three different times
If possible i would try to make it down to key largo also.
Have a great time

guys thanks for the replies, I was actually looking for a place myself, in or around Orlando in June. I got a reply from a dive op confirming that West Palm Beach the best option since I will be newly certified. Kinda gives me an option as to what dive ops that I should be looking into...
cheers

We dived with Jim Abernethy at West Palm Beach over 2 days in April, 4 dives down to reefs at 60ft all very easy going dives, plenty of reef life, dive guides pointed out plenty stuff both days and all were very helpfull especially as I am pretty inexperienced and my buddy hadn't dived for a bit.
Well worth checking out

We dived with Jim Abernethy at West Palm Beach over 2 days in April, 4 dives down to reefs at 60ft all very easy going dives, plenty of reef life, dive guides pointed out plenty stuff both days and all were very helpfull especially as I am pretty inexperienced and my buddy hadn't dived for a bit.
Well worth checking out
What was the name of the company and dive boat in West palm beach?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom