50+ year old divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AOW, nitrox

70+ dives, about 20 in Cozumel, 4 in the Pacific (LaJolla & Laguna Beach), the rest in Texas Lakes. I really love being in the water. Off to Roatan on the 10th to see if I cant get as close to 100 as possible.

Scubaboard addict

Willie

Have a great time in Roatan; just got back and I felt the reefs were as healthy as in Bonaire..Off to Coz in a couple weeks.

Well over 50.
YMCA, PADI AOW, Rescue, etc Certed "Y" in '70
MUCH prefer warm water, but Lake George in upstate NY is much closer (an cheaper!) and one must re wet periodically, and keep training up-to-date.
Bonaire again end of July!

56+ female and expecting first granchild, which may affect my goal of spending my children's inheritance on diving. AOW certified for almost 5 years now, mostly Caribbean (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacau, Grenadines, Cozumel, St. Croix, Florida Keys, etc.) but also a couple of Red Sea dives and Pacific side of Costa Rica. My first Maui dive will, hopefully, occur next week, though I haven't booked anything but the flight/hotel/car yet. Any recommendations? - Laurie in DC

We have been on some great Maui dives in this past week...6 days on the boat with Scuba shack in Kihei. Divemaster Toby, Captain Valorie & the 710 up ONE year old dive boat "Double Scoop" are Excellent. This operation seems to be the one here in Maui that all other operations are measured.against!

Hey Willy, maybe we will see you on Roatan. My wife and I and another couple will be spending a week on Roatan and a week on Utila on vacation. We will be arriving on Roatan on the 6th of May. We are staying at Posada Arco Iris and will be doing our diving with Coconut Divers. If we run into ya I will buy you a cold one.

Hi Dawn:
Fiji is awesome and you can get meals included unlike Hawaii. You are Ala carte on everything in Hawaii. I think Fiji is a better deal too and you get private Bures unlike bigger hotels in Hawaii. Fiji doesn't really do the over the water bungalows because of storms .... You can get those in Tahiti but there is another place and it is expensive.
Fiji has a lot of good places to stay with little private bures or bungalows.
I think it is a better deal and more exotic too!
Did you happen to watch those videos??
YouTube - Beqa Lagoon Resort in Fiji (part 1)

YouTube - Beqa Lagoon Resort in Fiji (part 2)

YouTube - Scuba diving in Fiji: Other activities at Beqa Lagoon Resort

YouTube - Scuba diving in Fiji at Beqa Lagoon Resort

Let me know what you think.

Diane

-------Original Message-------

Date: 4/16/2009 5:16:51 PM
To: Diane Darcy
Subject: RE: South Pacific Perfection - Join us!

Hi Diane,

It just so happens that Chris and I are getting married Sept 5, 2009. We were actually thinking of Fiji or Hawaii for our honeymoon. Do you know how they compare in beauty as well as prices? Do you have any good deals for the bungalows in Fiji that are out over the water?

Please send your response to my work email as well as home dawnbass@gmail.com

Nice to hear from you!

Thanks!

Dawn Bass
LM Aero JSF F-35 Information Assurance Manager
Email: dawn.m.bass@lmco.com
Desk: 817.763.7273
Pager: 1.800.491.1248
Fax: 817.777.9088

Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2009 1:37 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients@mailgw1b.lmco.com
Subject: South Pacific Perfection - Join us!

Ok it't time to get working on that bucket list!!!!!

HAVE YOU EVER DREAMED OF GOING TO THE SOUTH PACIFIC???

Join us Oct 8-17, 2009 in FIJI!!!!!!

This trip has been 22 months in the making and the 40 of us "funtimers" signed up are really excited it is now down to 6 months away! We are not "old timers" we are "funtimers".

Here are a few video links that will get you wanting to go too:

YouTube - Beqa Lagoon Resort in Fiji (part 1)

YouTube - Beqa Lagoon Resort in Fiji (part 2)

YouTube - Scuba diving in Fiji: Other activities at Beqa Lagoon Resort

YouTube - Scuba diving in Fiji at Beqa Lagoon Resort

Beqa (pronounced Benga) Lagoon Resort, FIJI :

Beqa Lagoon Resort, located on the island of Beqa off the Southeast corner of Viti Levu. Beqa Lagoon is surrounded by one of the largest barrier reefs in the world. It lies just 8 miles South of Viti Levu, just 80 miles from the international airport in Nadi. Getting there from Nadi takes a 2.5 hour drive along the Coral Coast to the town of Pacific Harbor, and from there Beqa island is a 1 hour ferry ride. The resort is located along the leeward side of the island with beautiful white sand beaches.

Beqa Lagoon Resort is a boutique resort with 25 deluxe, air conditioned villas (called bures). The resort recently underwent a major renovation following its name change from Marlin Bay Resort to Beqa Lagoon Resort, and now offers 3 categories of accommodation, Garden & Lagoon Bures, Beachfront Bures w/private plunge pool, and Honeymoon Bures.

Each bure is elegantly finished with rattan and bamboo and decorated with colorful splashes of fabric and works of art. Every beachfront bure has its own spacious courtyard with a plunge pool and bamboo fence to ensure your privacy. The honeymoon bure also has a romantic outdoor shower! Every bure is an air conditioned mini-suite with a spectacular marble lined bath, a king poster bed and a sitting room with a double bed. Every porch has a table, lounge chairs and a wonderful view. And if you walk toward the beach, you will find a cozy hammock.

In addition to the standard bures they now have spacious 2-bedroom bures that are perfect for families. These have air conditioning, one and a half baths and are elegantly furnished with artwork. The upstairs units have a balcony and downstairs have porches. Now you can bring your family to paradise in style.

The most striking feature of Beqa Lagoon Resort is its seclusion. Beqa Island has no roads, no towns and only a few isolated villages scattered around the perimeter. The island is skirted by stretches of sandy beach laced with mysterious tide pools. Just behind the resort the land slopes gently upward into a tropical forest. If you hike a short way up the hillside, you will find yourself at the base of an impressive waterfall. With a little more ambition and time you could hike to the top of the mountain where you can see the entire island from one place.

The gourmet chef prepares a wide variety of dishes that amaze even the most experienced gourmet. The presentation is always beautiful, and the open air Bure Kalou (dining room) is scenic and refreshing. Dining at Beqa Lagoon is an unexpectedly pleasant blend of high class gourmet dining and casual elegance. Tropical flowers bloom everywhere, and the tables at the resort are always filled with fresh cuttings.

Divers will enjoy some of the best scuba-diving in the South Pacific. Diving these calm protected waters is like exploring another world. The water is clear and warm, visibility is typically 100 feet, currents are mild, and the water temperature stays a fairly constant 80 F. This region is world-famous for its "shark dives" including dives with the largest tropical sharks – bulls and tigers.

Snorkelers will love the coral reef heads that thrive just a few feet from the Beqa Lagoon beach. You will be able to see many wonders such as clown fish, lion fish, lobsters, live corals and lots of other tropical creatures.

Everyone will enjoy fun-filled days snorkeling, swimming or kayaking the waters of the blue lagoon. Grab a single or double kayak and explore the secluded islands and beautiful beaches. Hike to the mystical waterfalls or to the top of the mountain, visit the local villages or see the WWII American gun site. Play a friendly game of volleyball with the locals or spend the afternoon deep sea fishing (additional charge). Beqa is also a Bird Watching haven with the largest varieties of birds in Fiji. (some of us old timers like this sort of thing)

End your perfect day relaxing in a nearby hammock or lounging by the large and luxurious infinity pool followed by soothing and private aromatherapy massage in your own Bure. Best of all, massages are only $40!

Now for the travel and money details:

We will be leaving on Thursday October 1st and arriving in Fiji on Saturday October 3rd in the morning. No, it's not a 2 day flight. We are crossing the International Date Line. The flight time from Los Angeles is about 10 hours on Air Pacific who happens to be a partner in the Frequent Flyer program of American Airlines. It is approximately 5529 air miles each way!

The price is $2399 per person for double occupancy.

This price includes:

Round Trip non-stop air from Los Angeles to Fiji
Meet and Greet at Nadi Airport

Round Trip Transfers from Nadi Airport to Boat Launch

Round Trip Boat Transfer to Beqa Lagoon Resort

Seven (7) night accommodations in a deluxe Fijian Bure

All meals and snacks (bottled beverages and alcohol are additional)

Beverages included: Coffee, tea, water and juice during meals

Kayaking, Snorkeling and trekking are complimentary and excellent

Fijian Village Visit – and you may see the firewalkers

Fiji Tax (12.5% VAT and 3% HTT)

Scuba Divers – Add $200 for:

5 days of 2 tank boat diving and unlimited shore diving

Plus 1 free night dive

Families - two-bedroom bures are 1,000 square feet with 2 private bedrooms (1king and 2 doubles) with a large living and dining room area.

Quad rate - $2164

Triple rate - $2325

Not included:

$324 air fuel surcharge and tax (subject to change until group airline tickets are processed).

Bottled and Alcoholic beverages

Room Upgrades - $150 additional for Beachfront Bure; only one left.  

CALL SOON IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR IF YOU ARE READY TO GO!!!!

817 281 3922 ph

Home

Skip the stress of surfing the 'net to piece together your perfect getaway.
Visit Home or email me at affordabletrips@gmail.com.

Diane

Just got back from a week in Roatan. Stayed at Fantasy Island. Did 3 dives every day and some night dives. Really great time. Also did a shark dive. Key West and Bonaire in June. Can't seem to get enough of it. Will probably go to the quarry at Dutch Springs this weekend.

Over 50 and having a ball.

Dave

In late Aug '07 during a boating trip in the Ozarks, I bought a $12 mask and snorkel set for my wife to see if she would like to snorkel during our upcoming Hawaiian cruise. She said, "Why can't we learn to scuba dive?" By the end of September at the ages of 65 (her) and 67 (me) we were both certified.

Our first salt water dives were in Lahaina and Kona in November.

'08 Trips:

Jan. Cozumel

April Cozumel

June Bahamas Liveaboard - Aquacat

Sep. Hawaii - Kona

Nov. Grand Cayman

'09 Trips:

Jan. Fiji

May - Belize Liveaboard - SunDancer (booked but watching the flu problem)

Aug - Sharm El Shiekh, Egypt (booked)

Fall - Nothing firm yet but thinking Tahiti and an Indonesian liveaboard

My wife enjoys diving as much as I do and our 60 day surface intervals just seem a bit too long.

Can't afford 2 go diving 2 these exoctic places but I do alot of local diving in the USA. And this Grumpy old diver is over 60.

50 (but I still think I'm in my 30's - denial is a great virtue)
Puget Sound WA diving
Advance OW, Rescue Driver and Deep Diver (lot's of deep water here)

Just wonderful to dive with all of the critters (wolve eel's and big Octos are great).

Man, you have made me feel old...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom