diy dive light canister, less expensive option

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My lathe will be here soon grasshoppers... 10x22 Grizzly!!! I will see what I can do to produce some lids and canisters for the masses at a reasonable price.

Jealous! I wish my 7x12 was just a tad bigger

If I get enough interest I can get these made for as little as $25 to $30 each...made of 1 inch polycarb and CNC machined from a single block. I need at least 5 at a time of the same size to get that price because of setup fees.

Steve

Attachments

• lid 003.jpg
    lid 003.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 454
  • lid 001.jpg
    lid 001.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 642
Codiak,
If I buy the OMS PLB-CAN-K canister for $161.25, then I'm defeating the whole premise of a low-cost canister dive light...thanks for the suggestion though.

My lathe will be here soon grasshoppers... 10x22 Grizzly!!! I will see what I can do to produce some lids and canisters for the masses at a reasonable price.

Once you have your lathe set up and start cranking out those canisters, let me know how much for a canister and lid.
As I said before, chances are I might take you up on the offer, after I get frustrated enough.

If I get enough interest I can get these made for as little as $25 to $30 each...made of 1 inch polycarb and CNC machined from a single block. I need at least 5 at a time of the same size to get that price because of setup fees.

Steve

Steve,

this looks really good.
I guess that's the difference between machining and hand cutting a lid:).

Right now I have a Sealed Lead Acid battery, 6V 4500mAh, that fits perfectly into the container. I haven't tested it yet, but I calculated ~1hr of run time at ~3A draw. In the future, depending on the results, I may go with 18650 Li Ion batteries.

Lead-acid batteries produce some hydrogen and oxygen gasses when charging or discharging. Any sealed container will need some sort of venting system.

Where R there plans or diagrams or web site on how 2 make this canister light. I'm interested in making one.

Steve,

this looks really good.
I guess that's the difference between machining and hand cutting a lid:).

Yeap!!! You will NEVER achieve the level of greatness unless you have some kind of high precision (expensive!!!) device. Or, of course, pay someone to do it. I guess that's why the seller needs 5 due to set up fees.

Here's a light I made. Head is Mag mod and can is 3 "Banjo" brand polypro fittings. 2" cap, 2x6 nipple and 2"x3/4" reducer. 3/4" cable gland fits into reducer. You have to charge from the head, but it fits 8 1860's in a 2s4p pack for 7.4V and ~8 Ah.

Can cost maybe $30. Pressure tested to ~100 psi (150 fsw +) and I'm sure will go much deeper.

Willem

Can.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom