Spearfishing with a pneumatic speargun effectively & ALWAYS time your snorkel blast..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those little guns are really cute!

But seriously, what do you shoot with a 50cm speargun?

Northern California groundfish:
Lingcod
Cabezon
Rockfish

They are more powerful than a band gun of similar size. Easy to maneuver in kelp, around rocks, boulders and crevasses.

Last edited:

Attachments

• REICamMount.jpg
    REICamMount.jpg
    392.6 KB · Views: 217
  • OldMiniTripod.jpg
    OldMiniTripod.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 153
greatinfo,just bought my first speargun and it's the one in your video!! I will use all your info and contact you about your snake strap
thanx scanny

Scanny,
after experimenting with several methods, I found that setting up my speargun as posted in the [Speargun MOD] section works consistently great. This setup suggestion should benefit most spearguns. Once you confirm this setup works, then you can decide later on if you want your speargun rigged on the upper-thigh with the versatile SNAKEstrap. Thanks for noticing the video.

alex
will you snake strap work with a drysuit,by the way thanx again for all the info about the speargun set up.can't wait to use it up here in the north atlantic,just got my advanced card,your step by spet even made it easy for me !!!!!!!!
thanx again
scanny
ps any videos on how to use a pole spear ?????

Scan,
thanks for the compliment on the speargun Mod section, that method took a little time to figure out. People will either love this method & stick with it or possible spark an idea an on how they could improve on it or parts of the method.

Will SNAKEstrap work with a Drysuit,
It will work with a wetsuits flawlessly, as for a Dry suit I do not know what the manufacturers recommend. The SNAKEstrap holster has a waist belt and one leg will be wrapped with your pneumatic speargun with sheath holder or dive knife.
My question to Drysuit manufacturers/users...
Can or have you worn a waist weight belt? If so the effects should be almost the same.
If you use a drysuit with a weight integrated BCD, the SNAKEstrap holster should not be an issue.
If you must use a waist weight belt with your dry suit, then I would not recommend using both waist belts at the same time. A Rule-of-Thumb, you always want to experiment with any new piece of gear in shallow water, preferably with a dive buddy.

I found an dui-online.com article on COMMON DRYSUIT MYTHS
Link
Common Drysuit Myths
and other drysuit related questions
Why Dive Dry - The Basics on Drysuits
Pole spear vids, you might find a few sources on the Net somewhere.
I hope this was helpful.

Alex,

your strap mount is nice for the toy gun.

You overcomplicate things surrounding snorkels. When freediving, as soon as you take the last breath - snorkel should not be in your mouth anymore. And is to remain out of your mouth until you take several recovery breaths at the end of the dive. No need for wiggling your fingers and other voodoo stuff.

Timing your snorkel "blast" is a recipe for drowning.

Your site is a nice collection of random info (most of it useful), but you spend way too much time trying to complicate things.

Divebee,
Mr. Stephane Mifsud is a Apnea freediving national record holder? Watch his 120' freedive and see what he does with his snorkel.
YouTube - stephane mifsud spearfishing 36 m 120 feet
Here is his brief BIO on his accomplishments. I am not saying he does my method, I am showing you that he leaves a snorkel in his mouth during his spearos attempt.
Apnea mania
The blow/blast the water out of your snorkel is a broad description. It also depends on the individual spearos and if they are doing a shallow or deep dive and how much breath they have left. Now if someone is trying to break a free diving world record, I would think most freedivers would spit out their snorkel. When you dive in water that does not have great visibility, confined rocky area, kelp environment, small spearguns work great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom