Credit Card Foreign Transaction Fee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeputyDan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Many cards are now charging an additional 2.75% to 3.00% fee for any foreign transaction.

Is anyone using a card for foreign items that is not doing this gouge?

Other's opinions?

MOD- Didin't know where this fit on the board , so I posted here!

I only pay a fee when I take cash from an ATM using a credit card.

It is policy of the card issuer. Check with them before assuming anything as it relates to fees.
In addition, some local (foreign, or at destination) ATM's or credit card processors may also tack on a fee.

No charges here,atleast not from the C-card companys.
May get some charges from the recieving end(hotels/restaurants)during trips

using my company card most to pay for non local import.No charges sofar.:D

check with your credit card company for sure. I just received a notice from one of mine that said they'll charge a fee if the card is used out of the US, even if it is charged in US dollars!! I need to check with my other card to see if they're doing the same thing before our trip to Bonaire this summer.

check with your credit card company for sure. I just received a notice from one of mine that said they'll charge a fee if the card is used out of the US, even if it is charged in US dollars!! I need to check with my other card to see if they're doing the same thing before our trip to Bonaire this summer.

Also make sure they're not burying it inside the exchange rate, like some apparently do.

I just received a notice from one of mine that said they'll charge a fee if the card is used out of the US, even if it is charged in US dollars!!
That would really piss me off! The only reason why I have credit cards is foreign travel...

That would really piss me off! The only reason why I have credit cards is foreign travel...

Many credit card companies/banks here in the US have added these fees and more. Call your cc bank and ask to be sure.

I found this exact situation after returning from Bonaire in March. All the merchants ran the charges through in US dollars yet Citibank charged me a foreign transaction fee. When I called to complain and point out that the charges were in US dollars and didn't require a conversion, they stated that it didn't matter - that the merchants had to be paid in local currency (even though we all know US dollars are widely accepted) and therefore the fee stood. Seriously????

It doesn't appear that Chase charged me the fee - so guess who I'll be using for all future foreign travel. I'm thinking about canceling Citibank just on principle.

Pretty much every US credit card makes a charge for "foreign transactions....it varies between banks....Bank of America just this past week raised its rate from 3 to 4% on its Visa and Mastercards.....the best I have found is Cabela's Visa issued thru World Foremost Bank,,,they only charge 1%....If you have a Bank of America Credit card beware if you use it outside the US, you will find a 4% surcharge added.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom