Marsa Alam - who to dive with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, I am also considering diving in Marsa Alam on late October, primarily for Oceanic Whitetip and potential dugong experience in Marsa Abu Dabbab. Is the ecolodge in Marsa Shagra a good choice? I will be traveling with my wife who is only a leisure diver and we hope to get an air-conditioned chalet.
By the way, how about the diving condition of the house reef of Marsa Shagra? How does it compare with normal diving conditions in S.E Asia? You know it is a long way from Hong Kong to Marsa Alam and it is better to be prepared mentally. Thanks.

Just got back from Marsa Alam on Wednesday 15th April. We stayed at Marina Lodge and dived with Emperor. V well run dive op, did Elphinstone (no sharks), Abu Dabab (lots of green turtles, no dugong), Sha'ab Samadai (huge pod of dolphins), very few other dive boats around on any site, really good corals. It was quiet, a bit pricey- no competition, and poor sterling exchange rate. A good experience. This was our 5th trip to the Red Sea, so we've other places to compare it to.

Alchemist. I am beyond envy of your photos of the dolphins. Amazing.

I'll keep you posted once I get back, assuming the white tips aren't peckish.

Actually, Samaka, you must have met many oceanic white tips - any thoughts/tips for how to interact with them safely if I'm lucky enough to bump into one?

Thx,J

300bar - who you diving with when you're there? I depart 17th. Boat gets me back to land either 16th or 17th depending on schedule. Have you been there before? If so, name the bar and if opportunity allows we could grab a beer! :)

We'll be diving with Emperordivers.
1st time in Marsa Alam,but have been to the Red Sea over 20 times.
Any time would be a good one for a beer.:D

btw we'll be staying at the Marina Lodge.

Hmmm, wondering whether I've missed a trick. I tossed a coin between discovery and emperor divers and Discovery won. Their literature looks exactly the same (verbatim) so might be same owners who knows.

I'll definitely pop into the Marina if we get back on the 16th. You're right, any time (once the dives are done) is a good one for a beer. If we don't meet, have a wonderful wonderful time.

J

Hmmm, wondering whether I've missed a trick. I tossed a coin between discovery and emperor divers and Discovery won. Their literature looks exactly the same (verbatim) so might be same owners who knows.

I'll definitely pop into the Marina if we get back on the 16th. You're right, any time (once the dives are done) is a good one for a beer. If we don't meet, have a wonderful wonderful time.

J

Goes without question.:D

Have a great time aswell
Dive safe.

Alchemist - I'm probably gushing a bit here, but that dolphin photo is just gagging for a greeting card to sit on :) Get out your copyright stamp and quick!

Hey John

I'm doing Brothers, Daedalus, Elphinstone departing May 27th
on Grand Sea Serpent

been on this boat before and done this itinery before ... you'll love it

Cheers Venus, I gotta say I'm like a kid before Christmas such is my impatience. How many more sleeps is it???? :D

Have a brill time, I'll post back here after my trip.

J

I'm booked in Sharm on 30 May until 05 June. This will be my first time in Egypt / the Red Sea. I have contacted Emperor Divers to complete my AOW while I am on holiday there. All of the posts I have read (almost all of them) give me great encouragement on being a solo traveler there. I think deciding on Sharm will prove to be a good choice.

Thanks to everyone that has posted information about their trips and experience in the area. I'm looking forward with great anticipation to this trip!

JR

JClynes.. thanks for the comments. I was quite chuffed with the shot too.

Back
Top Bottom