Which certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks everyone, you guys are very helpful!! so i went on MB's profile and noticed he hasnt been on this forum since like january. does anyone have his number or email address by any chance??

I would compare the dive tables to multiplication tables more than to a slide rule. Not learning how to use the tables is like removing multiplication tables from the school curriculum because you assume your students will always have a calculator. More than having a computer "crap" out on you, knowledge of the tables allows you to know when your computer is way off the mark.

I can't count the number of times I have been on a boat here in NC with someone with a new computer and no understanding of dive tables. They are on a 100ft wreck diving air with 20+ minutes of dive time and a computer that says they have another 20 minutes to go. They realize they are getting low on air, get to the surface with their computer screaming because that computer wasn't saying they have 20 minutes of NDL left, it was telling them they now had racked up 20 minutes of decompression. Had they had a basic knowledge of the dive tables they might have realized that 40 minutes at 100 feet would have put them way past their NDL.

Agencies aside it is the instructor that matters, but I would certainly find an instructor that is going to be sure that you have all the information about diving that is going to allow you to safely pursue this sport. In my opinion that knowledge base has to include a solid understanding of the dive tables.

If you decide to further your education in diving (which I highly recommend) you will need to know how to use the tables.

rocketman9415:
thanks everyone, you guys are very helpful!! so i went on MB's profile and noticed he hasnt been on this forum since like january. does anyone have his number or email address by any chance??

PM sent with e-mail address.

Chances are if you truly take a liking to the sport and stay active on the boards you have a good chance of drifting towards the DIR style of diving. My advice would be to hold off on buying that Seaquest BC, hockey puck computer/plastic SPG/compass console and come back to these very same experienced divers with their good advice in order to solicit their thoughts on equipment purchases. Most instuctors use all the previously mentioned equipment as not to differentiate from the rental stuff most students use. Probaly will save you around $1,500.00 down the line not having sell on Ebay/garage sale and replace with more thoughtful equipment. Lastly, select TDI for nitrox. Much more theoretical information and not overly conservative (PPO 1.4). Scott

If none of the above recommendations work out for you, get hold of Bob Meadows at Force-E in Boca. He's a good guy.

If none of the above recommendations work out for you, get hold of Bob Meadows at Force-E in Boca. He's a good guy.

I actually just signed up with MB yesterday but when I was asking around about the certification I spoke to him and got his card. Thanks tho.

Living in Boca, you should take MB's class. The man is an amazing teacher! Send him a private message and set up a class.

MB is awesome! My daughter was certified by him last year and I was very pleased with his teaching style. And I even learned a few things!

I was going to say NAUI but seeing as how you picked it, great going! haha

Back
Top Bottom