LDS -vs- Online purchases

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

so if you're a LDS, why'd you have to order the regs from LP?

One never has to do anything in life... one chooses to do.

In this case I bought them to prove a point... I'm good at making points clear.

How many LDS's will do that?

As for Scuba Steve's comment about not doing business with me... he's exactly the type of customer no one wants... He wants things below cost... and no one, not a LDS or online business can stay in business with customers like him. As he notes... he buys from hardware stores and places going out of business when they're selling below cost. If that's all he can afford... I respect that... but don't bad mouth me because you're a cheapskate, because that fact is - if you buy from anyone other than Off the Wall Scuba (in the scuba industry - anyday of the year) - you'll pay to much!

Cheers

I hear you can snorkle longer on a Nitrox snorkle...... :shocked2:

I thought it was that you could go deeper? Or was it less fatigue?

Perhaps I should get a "Split Snorkel" so I can swim faster?

How about a "Spare Snork" in case I go OOA on my primary snorkel?

7-75-wrapped-flex-straw-200-box.jpg

Response to friscuba

Well, then you cannot have air from my compressor :wink:. The reality of life is as follows:

If there is demand, supply will follow....end of story

I stand by the fact that those that say the sport will die an unfriendly death because the LDS cannot provide fills are blowing smoke and hot air. Nothing more. If you read my post (conveniently quoted and bolded above), I believe all the answers are there.

Any growth of the activity will stall out and become stagnant if LDS close..I know that I would not drive a distance to simply get air fills.Figure in the cost of gas and now instead of a easy 10 min drive to a lds to get air you now have a 40 min to 2 hr drive.The cost of gas being what it is,and remember Memorial day is coming soon(price of gas traditionally goes up at that time) a airfill can cost $10.-$20. in gas alone to get there.Access to sport would be tougher and more limited for new people to enter it,so they will do something else that is easier to get into.When that happens,because of limited customers,cost to stay in activity will increase for those that still participate.
To seriously open a LDS of a decent size,with inventory, can cost easily $75,000-$150,000...First year you are LUCKY if you do not have to go into your pocket to pay bills.Forget about paying yourself.Add an inhouse pool and you are now looking at $250,000. More if you have to build it-$1,000,000.+

Last edited:
I hear you can snorkel longer on a Nitrox snorkle...... :shocked2:

Millions of divers all over the world are learning the advantages of the Nitrox snorkel. Snorkel longer and feel better.

Today only I am offering the Chartreuse (being the best color for longer snorkeling times) Nitrox snorkel for only $199.99 With S&H included. But wait that's not all. Just for being a SB member I will include, at no additional cost to you, not one but two sets of combined air & nitrox snorkeling tables.

:rofl3:

Millions of divers all over the world are learning the advantages of the Nitrox snorkel. Snorkel longer and feel better.

Today only I am offering the Chartreuse (being the best color for longer snorkeling times) Nitrox snorkel for only $199.99 With S&H included. But wait that's not all. Just for being a SB member I will include, at no additional cost to you, not one but two sets of combined air & nitrox snorkeling tables.

:rofl3:

I'm a new diver, and that deal is way better than what my LDS offered. Can I PM you for details?:D

Not so long ago I ordered a couple of regs from LP and when I got them and checked them... the manufacture dates were from 2002... ladies and gentleman that is 7 years old.
I guess we have to take your objective word on that.. :wink:

In general I would bet that what online stores sell are newer than most LDSs. They need fewer products in storage and sell more and therefore renew everything in storage more often. And then one has to take into account online stores have to worry more about their reputation. Any serious online store is very aware off how much a bad reputation would impact their sales. I have had better customer service from the online stores used than the brick stores.

From my continuous monitoring of what online stores offer this is what I saw:

1. Great offer on Titan LX but the first stage is the older one not the new (this is why the price feels great)
2. A computer with great price but old style not the new one.
3. On LP they announced a 30 years discount for Zeagle pdts 30% and they increase the prices 30 % so at the end it is the same.

In my LDS I dont take it for granted and buy blindly I again go around and see the prices (and brands) from other LDS and online. The better one giving me good service and consultations and sizing I dont hesitate to go and buy from them.

Sometimes I am trying to buy from the LDS just to thank them for the good service he is giving me (I may spend an hour each time looking and discussing gears with the sales people and they never complaint)

From my continuous monitoring of what online stores offer this is what I saw:

1. Great offer on Titan LX but the first stage is the older one not the new (this is why the price feels great)
2. A computer with great price but old style not the new one.
3. On LP they announced a 30 years discount for Zeagle pdts 30% and they increase the prices 30 % so at the end it is the same.

You can't be looking round that many online shops if that's all you picked up on. In New Zealand here we get bent over the barrel majorly when it comes to gear price. I can usually buy two online for the price of one in the LDS. Further more most LDS here cater more for hunting divers and OW students waiting meekly to be fleeced so if you want "non standard" or anything other than recreational kit/gear you have to shop online and import it.

I agree with you when the price difference is that big but up to 20% more in LDS it is acceptable for me so to cover warranty and other extra services from tehm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom