Starting a dive company at 18

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

started a year and a half ago at 34. have thought about dive shops, and opening one. would Have no idea where to start.

I started when I was 16 in Missouri. I gave it up after a year or two since back in 1986 1) it was hard to find a dive buddy 2) wasn't much to look at in the lake that was in my area.

Joined the Air Force and got stationed in Fort Walton Beach, FL. You would think I would have gotten back into it. I had all my gear, but NOOOOO I was more interested in drinking and chasing women. I moved back to Missouri afterwards and into college (definitely no chance to dive then).

Moved to the Space Coast of Florida and wanted to dive again so it became my motivation to quit smoking. That was in 2000. I was getting into it big time and went through DM. My wife and I decided to start having kids, I switched career fields, and that put the big nix on the diving.

Now my wife and I are back into it and the challenge is to find someone to watch the kids and to do it cheaper (i.e. more beach dives).

I'll be 39 this year. Man does time fly.

diving_emtp

4 years ago, at age 18, I was honored to have the opportunity of starting Dive Zero Magazine/TV.

I think that's fantastic. At 18, I was just focused on going to Uni - never would have thought of starting a company. Good on you.

I am just curious as to how old everyone was when they started getting involved in scuba diving or when they started a dive shop, company, etc...

I've been an instructor since 2005, quite recently the dive shop where I've done most of my teaching closed it's doors for good. This was the kick start I needed to get off my backside and do something.

I turn 37 this week, and have just started a new company (http://www.techdivenz.com/) to help me get the most out of diving and teaching diving, getting the balance right and only teaching what I want to teach.

It's like being 18 again! :D

Though I woudn't trade my years at University for anything. Fun times.... at least the bits I remember.

started at age 8, and certified at age 13. I am now 26 and planing the soon release of a new dive company.

NAUI certified in April 1976 at age 20 (it was a college phys ed course). Haven't breathed underwater in at least 25 years, and things have changed a little since then, so I am going to get certified again. I am currently doing the studying the PADI OW book and will schedule the class/pool portion in the next week or two.

I took lessons and got certified last year at age 48.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom