Good Time to Dive in Monterey?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sammyman

Registered
Reaction score
I am thinking about diving this Saturday with my wife in Monterey. We haven't been for over a year, and I was wondering how conditions are recently? Are Saturdays pretty crowded?

Also, what is a good dive shop to rent some gear between Berkeley an Monterey before our trip (preferably close to Berkeley).

Thanks

Well, I don't know what conditions will be like by the weekend, but we just did three days of diving in calm water with 50 or more feet of viz. It's very cold, though -- water's running in the mid 40's.

Well, I don't know what conditions will be like by the weekend, but we just did three days of diving in calm water with 50 or more feet of viz. It's very cold, though -- water's running in the mid 40's.

TSandM,

Where are you diving that you got those record readings? For close to two years I've been diving Monterey with my lowest temp at 48 degrees and that was only twice.

Once at BallBuster and the second time at Pt Lobos by Middle Reef.

I'm very curious where you picked up those conditions... :shocked2: But I know you dive dry and with Argon so if you were cold it must be low temps floating in Monterey or Carmel...

MG

I am thinking about diving this Saturday with my wife in Monterey. We haven't been for over a year, and I was wondering how conditions are recently? Are Saturdays pretty crowded?

I was at Lobos over the weekend and there was a good swell on the surface and some surge under the water but vis wasn't too bad. I've seen better and worse. The swell prediction for Saturday says 5-7 feet outside the bay and 3-5 inside, but its early enough that those numbers can change. But those numbers dont look bad.

The NCUPS beach dive photo competition is going on this Saturday but I'm not sure how much of an extra crowd that will bring. In general though I've not had trouble finding parking anywhere I want to dive on the weekend.

Also, what is a good dive shop to rent some gear between Berkeley an Monterey before our trip (preferably close to Berkeley).

In Berkeley there is Cal Dive And Travel (Cal School of Diving). They currently have fairly limited hours - I think 12-3. Other options in that area are Anchor Shack in Pacheco (Anchor Shack SCUBA) and Nautilus Aquatics in Concord (Nautilus Aquatics Dive Center).

Enjoy,
Nathan

Point Lobos has had 44-46 degrees for a few weeks now. At least at the offshore sites (not shore diving near the boat ramp). I've been there three times in the last three weeks and it never broke 50 degrees.

TSandM,

Where are you diving that you got those record readings? For close to two years I've been diving Monterey with my lowest temp at 48 degrees and that was only twice.

Once at BallBuster and the second time at Pt Lobos by Middle Reef.

I'm very curious where you picked up those conditions... :shocked2: But I know you dive dry and with Argon so if you were cold it must be low temps floating in Monterey or Carmel...

MG

I think all of us were recording temperatures around 45 or 46 at depth the last three days. We were at Beto's, Great Pinnacle, and Carmel River Beach. It felt like home, except you could see . . . Everybody told us the reason we had the fabulous viz was because there's a cold upwelling going on. Whatever it was, I was grateful for the incredible views!

Where can you find the swell prediction?

I was at Lobos over the weekend and there was a good swell on the surface and some surge under the water but vis wasn't too bad. I've seen better and worse. The swell prediction for Saturday says 5-7 feet outside the bay and 3-5 inside, but its early enough that those numbers can change. But those numbers dont look bad.

There are good shops in Monterey, too: scuba loc: 32 Cannery Row, Monterey, CA 93940 - Google Maps

My buddies and I have happily rented from Glenn's Aquarius II Dive Shop when diving Breakwater and Del Monte. It is easier than carting everything home.

When we dive Pt. Lobos, we usually rent locally. For me, that is San Jose, but I don't think that would be too convenient from Berkeley.

Talking about cold, I was with Cypress boat on 5/10 at Pescadero Pinnacle near Pebble beach and water temp was 44. Out of 9 divers (none has dry suite), only 2 braved the 2nd dive and it was not me. I was shaking uncontrollably. The hot thermal hose did not help that much after my body core temp was whacked. Viz was 40 to 50 feet and only tiny swell though. Phil (the capt.) said cold water removes those floating particle but I don't know if it was true. Spent around 60 mins, max depth 103 ft with 3000 psi LP95. Awesome 1st dive.

Back
Top Bottom