DIR and Stroke Approved Turkey Recipe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrpai once bubbled...

The birds I use are neither frozen nor preseasoned.

Chris
So brining would enhance the flavor then correct?

<< side note:...is there anything people won't argue over? >>

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
You've never had a deep fried bird done correctly have you?

Well...possibly. Each time I've had it I didn't like it, but the same person made it each time. Very greasy.

ppilot once bubbled... Well...possibly. Each time I've had it I didn't like it, but the same person made it each time. Very greasy.
That is normally a symptom of the oil not being hot enough. I like 330-350 and some go a bit higher than that.

Perhaps the person liked greasy turkey.

Don Burke once bubbled...
That is normally a symptom of the oil not being hot enough.
Very likely the problem....

if the oil isn't hot enough, the bird's moisture doesn't crate that "steam layer" (remeber the guy who can walk on coals) around the bird properly, and the oil seeps in. I try not to be any lower than 350...but at the same time try not to run over 375 b/c that begins to break down the oil, and that is not tasty.

The bird will look much darker when you fry him...if he doesn't look much darker than when he's cooked in the oven (believe me there's a big difference) then more than likely the oil was not hot enough.

I agree...greasy turkey is nasty and not tasty.

Back
Top Bottom