Scuba in Jamaica any good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azspecter

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys-
We're hitting Jamaica on a cruise- thinking about diving there. Is the diving any good there? I know it's VERY dangerous city, so that makes me very leery of finding a good dive shop who we can trust to take good care of us, and have good equipment for rent.

Is the diving good? Is it worth while? The choice is between Jamaica and diving in Isla Roatan, Honduras. Which would you choose and why?

Lastly- can you recommend a good dive shop for me?
Thanks!

Jamaica isn't any more dangerous than bad parts of any other big US city.

with that said, I wouldn't walk around Kingston too much....

what city is your cruise going to? Ocho Rios? or Montego Bay?

as long as you keep in the 'tourist areas" and don't do stupid stuff like try to buy pot from some guy in a back alley you'll be perfectly find and in no danger. (but that's true in most islands in the caribbean.)

The diving in Negril was pretty good. Much better than people told me it would be. For some reason there is this idea that diving in Jamaica is bad, but I was pleased with Negril. It's not as nice as some other locations, but it was better than the Diving in Key West for comparison.

If I had to chose diving between Roatan or jamaica, I'd prob choose Roatan. Better diving.

I'm betting you're going to Ocho Rios. Been there, but never dove there. The big thing to do in Ocho Rios is to climb Dunn River Falls. Fun to do, but touristy. take clothes and shoes you can get wet and climb on rocks with. I think you can rent aqua booties there, but an old pair of tennis shoes works fine.

If you do a search on Jamaica or Negril or Ocho Rios on scubaboard, you'll find many more replies on other threads on this.

Yup- Ocho Rios. Been to the falls, don't need to go back, that's for sure. Looks like Roatan is good diving there... might just do that. Anyone else?

did dive in MoBay many years ago. Limited fish but beautiful clear water. some of the best visability i've experenced. cozumel and jamaica had clearest water. not that anything else was similar. too long ago to recommend anyone but if its MoBay I'd give it a go.
bob

sorry didn't see the or there. i'd go for Roatan. its known and respected as a diving destination Jamaica is certainly not known as a diving destination.
it may have some but Roatan is famous for it.

Jamaica diving varies by location. The north side of the island frequentlyhas rough water making some dive outfits cancel outings. Ocho Rios is on the north side. The upside is that the north side is linked to the Cayman Trench and you have some great walls and a chance to see big fish.

MoBay calmer diving but over fished. Nice reefs, not extremely populated with fish.

Negril is 1.5 hour drive from MoBay and 4 hours from Ocho. It is much better diving but time will most likely not allow the drive.

Safety in the tourist areas is as good as any major city in the USA. Be alert, keep your eyes up, don't go down back alleys. Most Jamaicans are proud and friendly. If you treat them rudely or in a demanding way they will become stubborn very quickly. Smiles will get you far.

Anyone recommend a boat/shop to use when in Negril.?

I have seen recommendations for Negril Dive Center but nothing about anyone else.

I have seen recommendations for Negril Dive Center but nothing about anyone else.

most of the people in Negril dive out of the resort boat at the resort they are staying at...... that and Jamaica isn't a "gotta go" on the dive spot list, so not many dive operators.

I might be wrong, but I don't know I've seen another commerical operation that isn't affiliated with a resort.

Where are you staying in Negril? I just got back from there on Saturday. They saw dolphins the week before we were there but none last week. Typical, should have been here yesterday.

Sucba One Travel - Negril Jamaica Underwater photos

There is Marine Life Divers at Samsara Resort on the Negril cliffs (west end). I don't know anything about them. Another is SunDivers at Point Village Resort on the opposite end of Negril, near Hedonism and Grand Lido resorts. I was acquainted with the former operator but the shop is under new ownership and I don't know the new people. There is also Negril Scuba Center which seems to be well known, but I have never dived with them. All are public dive shops that do private pickups and outings. Google each for more info.

Back
Top Bottom