zuiko 9-18mm and PTEO5 port

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Graffa,

I've got the 9-18 housed in a PTE-05 with the PER-E01 extension ring. Results are better than expected compared to what I get when I use the lens in my Inon dome.

Grtzzzz,

Rob

It fits with the Oly PPO-E04 dome without an ext. ring.

Jack

Hi Graffa,

The best three choices are a matter of how much you want to spend. All can be used without any extension ring and of course all need a gear to zoom the lens. In order of price they are the Athena 220 mm OPD-200V pro port for Olympus $1500.00, the Olympus 170 mm, PPO-E04 around $1000.00 (same dome also comes from Athena) and the promising new Athena 100 mm dome port made for the 9 to 18 zoom at $600.00.

Athena 100mm Dome Port for Olympus 9-18 [ath.opd.wz9-18-pte] - $599.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

I think this new port will a great choice for the 9 to 18 lens and will add to the overall value of the PT-E05 system.

I have been using the 9 to 18 zoom with the Athena 170 mm dome with high quality results for an entry level wide angle lens.

I am egger to try the new 100 mm Athena port which I think will be a great choice for the traveling photographer who wants to go light. Paired with the 50 mm macro and port I could cover 95 % of my needs on any trip.

Since the Inon dome port for Olympus was made to be used with the 8 mm fisheye I don't see it as good choice. I have use the Inon port with the fisheye and got excellent results but I don't see it working well with the zoom.

If you plan to buy the 7 to 14 or the 8 mm fisheye any time soon the 220 or 170 mm ports would be the better choices, but for most the 9 to 18 is going to be more than enough lens to suit their needs.

Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin Bio

Has anyone isolated the correct port (assembly?) for the Oly 9-18 in an Ikelite housing yet?

Thanks!

NTGW :)

Hi there
I see some criticism on using the 9-18mm with the INON-dome port. I bought the 9-18mm very recently and I had already bought the INON-dome last year, so I was al little anxious reading this tread, also Pennywise was not to enthousiastic. But why is this ? I put today the lens in my OLY-housing and the INON dome and I had no problems so far. I used the focusssing gear from my 'old' PPO-E05 and also this one fits and works fine. So technical no problems so far. Of course I did not take any pictures yet. Will there be problems to expect maybe ?
thks for feedback
jan

Hi Graffa,

I've got the 9-18 housed in a PTE-05 with the PER-E01 extension ring. Results are better than expected compared to what I get when I use the lens in my Inon dome.

Grtzzzz,

Rob

Pennywise, which port you used with the extension ring?

Best regards

I've actually been so brazen as to place the 9-18 inside the PPO-E05 flat port. It has no issues whatsoever and will fit in their nicely. The only small issue is getting the zoom gear in the right place but with a little practice it works fine. I'm sure the optics aren't as wide but it would be interesting to compare images with that of a good dome port.

Back
Top Bottom