Caymans in Oct. need advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott M

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello, My buddy and I will be heading for the Caymans mid Oct. We have narrowed it down to the West end/SMB area since we both like to roam when not diving, neither of us are the type to sit at the beach all day so the west end seems like the right choice.

We have looked at Sunset house and like everything we have read about it except the size of the dive groups. We prefer a smaller group of 8 or less. If it was not for that we would have booked there all ready.

Our list of things we would like;
-Fairly nice place, does not have to be 5 star but no dumps either
-Do not want meals included, b-fast is fine if included but not mandatory
-Close to action or at least with in reasonable walking distance
-Easy access to diving, if we go to a place that does not have a dive shop and use a seperate shop we do not want to spend all day getting back and fourth to the dive shop and/or dive sites
-Dive shop, one that runs smaller groups and able to adapt to weather

Thanks for any advise you may offer.

Sunset House is on the south side, not SMB or WB. Long walk to either.

Deep Blue Divers at the Lobster Pot dive center takes out a max of eight. I am sure they will come pick you up.

Look at the area of the Marriott south to find the best places to "roam".

Try Comfort Suites as one of the lesser expensive ones. They include a continental breakfast. Not on the beach though.

Last edited:
You want to stay mid-SMB. jd's suggestion of south of the Marriott is good. Too far south would be down by Treasure Island condos, not a lot of nightlife in that area. Sunset House is in a South Georgetown residential area - at least a couple miles too far south. Divetech/Cobalt Coast has the same problem but it's too far north. You'll want to visit SH though, pretty good dives (not the best but you've gotta dive the Mermaid), My Bar is one of the divers hangouts and if you're into photography, the Cathy Church school/gallery is in their basement.

It may've changed now but they rolled up the sidewalks in Georgetown when the cruise ships depart at 5pm. At least they did in 04' The Hard Rock and a couple restaurants were all that was left open at night "downtown". And Georgetown is a zoo every day when the cruise ships drop several thousand tourists downtown. And since they're mostly American they don't look the opposite direction b4 stepping off the curb, remember you'll be driving on the left there.

There's two Marriotts also, the Grand Resort and the Courtyard by. Guess which is cheaper...lol.

Almost any diveop will pick you up anywhere along SMB for a short ride to their boat/marina. Some that limit to 8 divers max are Neptune's Divers or Wall to Wall Diving. Ambassador Divers and Indigo Divers is 6 max.

Great info, thank you for the advise. We will start to look at the area suggested for places to stay and dive. I think my buddy has some Marriot points anyway.

I know what you mean about the cruise ships, we frequent Coz and PDC a lot so we know how that can be. On the other hand it can sometimes be worth sitting back having a beer and watching the show.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom