Trip insurance advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cduffey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're thinking of a trip to Coz in September. Since we live only 3 hours from the gulf coast, we are very aware of the hurricane risks. We would like to be able to insure that we can cancel if hurricanes threaten. We would be concerned about weather threats to Cozumel, and also to the Florida panhandle (as that could affect our home and families as well). Can anyone offer advice about reputable companies that will allow you to cancel under those circumstances?

I've been going to Coz for 5 years now and never purchased insurance before. Never had a weather related incident down there. That's just me though

For peace of mind I would and do get basic trip cancellation insurance. Luckily I have not had to use it. It's like having car or homeowners insurance. It depends on how much you are willing to loose. You can google it and find sites that give you comparison rates. Also DAN has a link to insurance.

DAN does offer a link to trip insurance, but I thot it was very unappealing.

We're thinking of a trip to Coz in September. Since we live only 3 hours from the gulf coast, we are very aware of the hurricane risks. We would like to be able to insure that we can cancel if hurricanes threaten. We would be concerned about weather threats to Cozumel, and also to the Florida panhandle (as that could affect our home and families as well). Can anyone offer advice about reputable companies that will allow you to cancel under those circumstances?
I take trip insurance primarily for the out of US medical coverage, with cancellation being low on my priorities. How much would you lose if you canceled? If flying a regular airlines, they might let you reschedule for free or for $150 fee, depending on the situation at the time. If you canceled a couple of days in advance, the hotel and dive op might not penalize you, depending on your arrangements. But I don't know what you are arranging so who knows?

Many trip insurance policies would cover you if there were a direct hit expected, but you seem to want more? I use Travel Safe and for you, you could add the Cancel For Any Reason....
Pays up to 100% of non-refundable Trip Cost. If you cancel your trip two (2) days or more before your scheduled departure date. This option must be purchased within fifteen (15) days of the initial deposit/payment for your trip.

I also chose another policy over DAN and with medical. I found it through a google search. But I use DAN for dive specific emergencies. Their are a lot of options to choose from.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm pretty sure we're covered medically with DAN and BCBS. The Travel Safe option looks quite reasonable from my cursory look. Thanks for the suggestion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom