DC1000 - using flashlight as strobe substitute (for the time being)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was my example. JUST Memories. And by the way, there was no software involved.

Last edited:
I take **** pictures above water, so I do not expect to take good pictures under water. Just memories.

I've been focusing on getting more essential dive equipment (reg, gauges, bcd, and camera (duh)) recently and so i don't yet have the money to get a flash for my DC1000. i've heard rumors on various product reviews that a simple $30 underwater flashlight can act as a flash up to about 4' away from the subject in a pinch when a proper external flash isn't available. has anyone heard of this/able to comment on it's validity? if it's true, i'll give it a shot, but if anyone's tried it and didn't get it to work i'd much rather just keep my left hand on the inflator hose instead

thanks.
I'm in pretty much the same boat. Bought the camera, then spent thousands on scuba gear. A strobe is not in my near-term future (maybe xmas if I'm not naughty). Anyway, where will you be diving? While in Aruba I got plenty of great shots as deep as 60 feet. When I dove NY I didn't even bring the camera (although light and water clarity were only parts of the reason for this).
I did shoot a few pictures in Aruba with the internal strobe just for S&Giggles... They came out OK.

I have the older DC500, and have had a horrid time getting the strobe to sync. (another thread here on SB) with the camera, so for years I have shot with just the on board flash. It can take decent photos, even without the strobe. Not professional certainly, but still pretty decent shots.
Bonairetrip-1-09_157b.jpg

ScubaBonaire_08_155b.jpg
Bonairetrip-1-09_171b1.jpg

ScubaBonaire_08_011b_frog_.jpg

scuba_bonnaire07-Melissa_054.jpg

All above had some limited photoshop work, but very limited as I have no real skill at it!
Just last week Sealife decided to have the strobe replaced and I got it to work for the first time this last Sat at Dutch Springs: with strobe, finally! (Two quick fresh water pics, re sized only, no photoshop.)
IMG_0013_Medium_.JPG

IMG_0018_Medium_.JPG

I do want to add a small flash light to the set up for night diving, as a aiming guide only!

Thanks. Enjoy playing with the camera, and capturing memories as you say. No pretense on my part to be a pro. Such professional work is not, not ever will be my goal, but am gradually improving, and for now am satisfied with the lowly DC500 (which was a big step up from my entry DC100!:D)

Have way too many expensive hobbies already, and UW photography on a higher level is just not in the budget!

I've been focusing on getting more essential dive equipment (reg, gauges, bcd, and camera (duh)) recently and so i don't yet have the money to get a flash for my DC1000. i've heard rumors on various product reviews that a simple $30 underwater flashlight can act as a flash up to about 4' away from the subject in a pinch when a proper external flash isn't available. has anyone heard of this/able to comment on it's validity? if it's true, i'll give it a shot, but if anyone's tried it and didn't get it to work i'd much rather just keep my left hand on the inflator hose instead

thanks.

I had trouble one day with my external flash not firing on my new DC-1000. So for the second dive I left it on the boat and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the photos without it, set in Sea Mode. Of course, the water was very clear and it was easily the shallowest dive of the week in Cozumel, about 25'. Still, eventually you will probably want a strobe. You will then appreciate the difference.

Interesting about keeping your hand on the inflator hose. As a new diver, you may want to work more on bouyancy control before getting too much into photography. It is essential that you have pretty much pinpoint control before expecting too much from your photos, and for the protection of the marine environment. Once you get there, you won't need to use the inflator once you reach depth, for the most part.

Welcome to the sport and the Board!

I have the DC800 and do take pictures at 150ft with no strobe, because I did not bring it. But, I did bring my can light and do use it instead. As far as a 30 buck light... depends on your depth. They will take a decent picture at shallow depths. SeaLife does take mediocre pictures at best (what do you expect for the price). They are cheap and that is why I bought it. Just my 2cents....

well, what i do know about the light is that it's 2 watts... not sure how much that translates to underwater...

as to picture quality, granted it's no SLR, but if you can manage to get within 2' of the subject (not easy to do fighting currents in Cozumel), the pictures do turn out pretty good, even up to 70' (as deep as i've gone)... keep in mind everything on here is compressed and the image quality does leave a bit to be desired... i'll keep uploading some of my photos, but it is pretty slow to load them here... no bulk uploader like on facebook...

Interesting about keeping your hand on the inflator hose. As a new diver, you may want to work more on bouyancy control before getting too much into photography. It is essential that you have pretty much pinpoint control before expecting too much from your photos, and for the protection of the marine environment. Once you get there, you won't need to use the inflator once you reach depth, for the most part.

Welcome to the sport and the Board!

yeah, well, that particular point was in cozumel, at the yucab and tormentos sites. so keeping the hand on the inflator hose was not to maintain a constant bouyancy but as an emergency measure in case i was getting too close to the corals for (their) comfort. shouldn't be much of a problem since i live in san diego and la jolla's shore diving isn't exactly known for currents...

Back
Top Bottom