Had my new black diamond BC out for the first time today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bill-da-ho

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
found out that it thru my weighting off, I added 8 pounds, normally dive with 16 with the old bc, that turned out to be too much, but, I finished the dive with that,, will try 4 pounds in addition to my 16 pound weight belt next time. Also, at the surface, it tended to push me face forward into the water, I had expected this, as I was told it would probably happen. Does anyone have any tips to counteract this on a back inflate bc? I have my weight belt on my waist with the weights forward of my hips too? should I adjust this?
It was a good dive tho, found the wreck we were looking for, did some practice mask clears, out of air drills, and regulator clears.

I guess my first question is why aren't you using the weight integration built into the BC? It also has two non-removable rear weight pockets, try putting some of your weight back there. I've found that a 60/40 split works well to keep me upright at the surface.

I guess my first question is why aren't you using the weight integration built into the BC? It also has two non-removable rear weight pockets, try putting some of your weight back there. I've found that a 60/40 split works well to keep me upright at the surface.

Well, with my old BC, I was as close to perfectly weighted with my weight belt, So I didnt want to change that. Was going to stay with the belt. When I added weight today, I put it in the releasable pockets. I may just go to this altogether. Putting the weights in the back prolly would have been a better Idea,, I'll give that a try on tuesday, my next day out. Thanks.

Steel cylinder.

Pete

Definately use the rear trim pockets, I have dove my Ranger,Balance etc. all back inflate and this will take care of your face planting problem. You may want to play around a bit till you are comfortable but, personally I would ditch the weight belt.

ok, I'm gonna try ditching the weight belt next outing. I figure I'm going to be starting with 20 pounds of weight altogether. Any suggestions on the distribution of it? 16 pounds in ditchable, and four in non ditchable? Ten and ten?

Also, at the surface, it tended to push me face forward into the water, I had expected this, as I was told it would probably happen. Does anyone have any tips to counteract this on a back inflate bc? I have my weight belt on my waist with the weights forward of my hips too? should I adjust this?
As others have said use the integrated weights and put some in the trim pockets. As an example with a 3mm in fresh water I wear 10lbs. Six of that is in the trim pockets.
Steel tanks work well also.
Something else that may help is don't overinflate while at the surface. I like to ride lower in the water with my BD or BP&W (or any back inflate) than I would with a jacket style.

As others have said use the integrated weights and put some in the trim pockets. As an example with a 3mm in fresh water I wear 10lbs. Six of that is in the trim pockets.
Steel tanks work well also.
Something else that may help is don't overinflate while at the surface. I like to ride lower in the water with my BD or BP&W (or any back inflate) than I would with a jacket style.

Yea, I did find that putting less air in the bc did help, but we had a bit of chop on the lake so I had to keep my reg or my snorkel in my mouth. It wasnt a BIG deal so much, cuz we didnt spend alot of time at the surface. I use a 3mil, and I use to use 16 pounds with the old bc. I had zero air in the bc with my normal 16 pounds and still I floated up even after completely breathing out all the air outa my lungs. I did grab 8 more pounds and this was a bit much,,I did have a little trouble getting it trimmed out, but I attributed this to the new BC.. I'll have to learn this one now I suppose.
Thanks for the input

Like the others said drop the belt, use the intergrated and add to the trim pouches. I have a raider which is like the ranger with options. I use about 2/3 rds in the pouches and 1/3 rd in the trim pouches in back. On the surface don't fully inflate and lean back.

Also if your using 16-20 lbs in freshwater and a 3 mil you need to learn to relax in the water, your breathing way to heavy if you need that kind of weight. Try relaxing on water for a few mins to get your breathing under control then make your dive.

Fyi I used to dive with 6-8 lbs fresh water, 3 mil with my seaquest raider. I went to a ss plate and wings, alum 80 and dive with 0 to 2 lbs max. w/my steel tanks I'm heavy in fresh water but in salt I add 2 lbs w/ belt and I position my weight in the small of my back. I spent $750 on my raider 8 yrs ago. I bought my plate/wings and harness for $300 after two years of diving with my raider and havn't gone back to it yet. And no, before you ask I'm not into tech or dir diving.

ok, I'm gonna try ditching the weight belt next outing. I figure I'm going to be starting with 20 pounds of weight altogether. Any suggestions on the distribution of it? 16 pounds in ditchable, and four in non ditchable? Ten and ten?
12 and 8

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom