Making your own weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What are the thoughts on salvaging lead from lead/acid batteries? Other than the fact that battery acid is, well, battery acid, is there any other explosive hazard with melting the lead or opening the battery to recover the lead?

I foresee: getting old car/boat/rv batteries, opening them up wearing coveralls, face protection, gloves, and grabbing the lead. Rinsing it like mad in water then having serviceable lead. Non?

Cheers,
VI

The problem in car batteries is the plates. The plates are made of lead oxide and lead sufate which is not good to have around. :shakehead: I would only use the straps and posts of the battery, basicly the solid parts.

I've seen lead shot bought at a sporting goods store used with old pairs of panty hose. Seemed to work ok.
Posted via Mobile Device

Is your time that invaluable to waste it making weights????

Is your time that invaluable to waste it making weights????
Ya know, we get this kind of post on DIY stuff now and then. Some people actually enjoy making and/or working on their own gear. I know I do.

I've made custom soft weights, and I've cooked up some V weights. I just finished about 60#'s of 4# belt weights. My LDS supplied the shot from a bunch of old rental belts that were falling apart, and I made them into belt weights with a mold they supplied. I kept a few of the weights, and gave the rest to the shop. I also made 2 custom 6# flat weights to go between my BP and my rebreather box. This project worked out great. It recycled the old shot weight lead, got the the shop some belt weights they can sell, and I picked up some weights for myself. I did it in the back yard while listening to my ipod and reading my rebreather manual and tossing a ball to the dogs on a perfect sunshiny day.

Is my time valuable? Actually, time is all we really have, and I really enjoy mine.

Some might suggest that a post like that could be a waste of time. :wink:

Call the local rifle/shotgun range and ask about reloading supplies dealers. IF they don't carry what you need they should know were to get it,

I have many many friends who cast their own bullets. Casting lead is not alchemy but there is a very real instantly felt danger. Several people on here have already stated it. Moisture in a lead pot causes the pot to spew molten lead on you. THis is not a little blub blub like tomato sauce.

The lead being molten will roll a little pea sized droplet of water hit the pan. Rolls to the bottom instantly becomes a steam ball the size of a basketball. EMPTIES the pot throwing lead 12' to 15'. Caution is the word I stress.

I do know many many people who work with a 20# pot and make 100's of thousands of little tiny bullets who still have all their skin in place. Personally I'd build some sort of shield to work behind or get a steel workers leathers, gloves and face shield.

Last I was at a scrap yard lead was around .40 per lb. Wheel wieghts are what we use to make bullets. You can scrap some from old houses the flange around the toilet vent pipe is lead.

IF YOU really want to get serious.. SAILBOAT Keels are like 500# to 2500# of lead in them.... you got the eqiupment to get it.

After posting on here and another site.

A member from the other site had 45lbs of shotgun lead shot(7.5mm), thread and fabric. He was going to make the weights for he and his family but 5years later the items stayed in the shed. So now I go them and have already made 2X 1lbs, 2X 2lbs, 2X 3lbs, 2X 4lbs and 2X 5lbs. I hope to get the weight pouches sown some time during the week. I will be using nylon coated cotton and black teflon string to keep the pouches together.

Hey Gang,
I was at my local dive shop looking to purchase some weights and the prices seem pretty high. Has anyone made their own weights? I hear that melting lead and pouring them in molds can be pretty hazardous. Has anyone tried to make their own soft weights?

Just use really heavy rocks you find in the Parking lot. Just kidding. Good luck with this project.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom