Trim weight on a Diva XLT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Krazyklaws

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there,

Can anyone offer me some guidance on splitting weights between pockets and trim on an Aqualung Diva XLT?

It's the first time I've used a BCD with integrated weight and I had a lot of trouble setting it up on a recent trip.

On the start of a dive - fine, no problems. However, halfway through a dive (maybe ascending to 15-20m with 100 - 120 bar left in the tank) there's be a very definite 'shift' in position. I was feeling very 'feet up' in the water, and swimming felt very un-natural.

I started the week with 8KG, moving to 7 after a couple of days - normal for me as I'm only a holiday diver and it takes me a little while to relax into it. So that's the other question, where does the 'odd' weight go?

I've read so many good reviews of this BCD - yet I couldn't dial it in. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Karen.

Karen,
Start out with 1/3 of your total weight as trim and 2/3 of the total weight in the pockets. If your feet are still trying to float lower your tank a little. You need to shift some weight from the upper half of your body to the lower half. Keep in mind that just because you have pockets for trim weight, it doesn't mean you have to use them. They are just a tool to help you achieve proper balance.

As far as having odd weight it is best to have the same amount of weight on both sides. If your weight is not even you will roll to one side in the water. If .5 kg weights are not available you might try getting a ankle weight and wrapping it around the neck of your tank ( I don't recommend ankle weights be used on the ankles ).

Keep trying different combinations of weight distribution and tank position until you find what works best for you. Keep in mind that as you change exposure suits you may need to change your distribution as well as total weight.

Happy diving.

Thanks Diveralan - I'll give it a try and work from there. It was knowing where to start from that I was struggling with.

Cheers.

...as far as 'where does the odd weight go' goes....at least here in the US we use weights as small a 1 lbs....if you can use smaller increment weights you can dive with very little 'extra' weight on one side, even with an odd number of 'lbs'.....also, double check how/where you are stowing any extra gear (lights/knives/pockets with mask in it, etc...whatever)...if you have one side of your body/BC with the weight of this extra gear on it.....place the 'odd' remainder weight on the opposite side of your body/BC.

Just thought I'd post an update in case this is useful to anyone else. It's taken a while, as I said, I'm a holiday diver!

Using both these pieces of advise has resolved the issue and I'm now pleased to report that I can fully understand why everyone raves about these BCDs.

Positioning the tank lower down resolved the issue almost immediately for me. A couple of dives later, I found the sweet spot allowing me to be comfortably well trimmed in the water. Then, when I dropped the extra kilo after a few days, the re-arrangement of my SMB and torch left me well balanced too. I didn't make use of the trim pockets, although I do now find myself a little face-forward when on the surface. I'm going to try a little weight in the back on the next trip, but to be honest it really wasn't worth messing around on the last trip.

Thanks both for your advice, and I hope it helps someome else 'bond' with a new BCD!

I was having the same promblems with my knighhawk at the pool last night, for my first back inflate trial. Wish I would of thought to lower my tank. My BC is cinched all the way up because I went with a size larger then standard to work with a Dry suit. I'm sure that raises the tank also. Glad doing so worked for you.

Back
Top Bottom