Hyde's Quarry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steelsaint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I looking to Dive Hyde's Quarry. I have never been there, but I was hoping to get information on Temps and visibility and depth.

Contact Undersea Outfitters in Finksburg md., they lease the quarry. They would be able to tell you conditions!!

Yrth is right. Undersea Outfitters lease the quarry. I DM w/atlantic edge, and we've just started going there for classes. Laird is usually there with Undersea and is SUPER knowledgeable. He's always able to answer questions, provide good advice, etc. I heard that George is also often at Hyde's with Undersea and is also very helpful. I have only good things to say about their operation. I was actually there today and am returning tomorrow.
Thrive Diver

What are the temps and viz at Hydes? I am planning on going 6/6 with Olney Scuba Adventure Dive Club. My normal buddy (son) won't be able to make it so I might be able to get deeper than 40' since he is Jr. Cert.

Last Sunday (5/31) it was 73F at the surface and 37F (no joke) at the bus, which is supposedly the coldest part of the quarry. The thermocline was at 12 ft, and below that the temp was in the low to mid 50s.There seemed to be another marked temperature change at around 25 ft. Above 12ft you could probably just about dive in a 3 mm. The quarry bottoms out at about 55 ft. Visibility was poor above the thermocline. Maybe 5-8 ft. There was a lot of pollen suspended in the water, and it had rained. At the bottom visibility was over 20 ft.

Back
Top Bottom