Entry Level Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive for awhile and get used to having fun. Then decide if you want a computer. The easiest solution is usually the least complicated. Learn to trust your own skills and your own gauges.

I recommend the Suunto Gheko. If you have some spare $$ then the Suunto D4.

Best Regards
Richard

I have a Cressi Archemedes which I like a a lot. When I was shopping one litmus test for me was whether DSS made a bungie mount for it.

Dive for awhile and get used to having fun. Then decide if you want a computer. The easiest solution is usually the least complicated. Learn to trust your own skills and your own gauges.

here's my honest nonbiased opinion about diving computers......: my 1st 900+ dives were without a computer, my last 200+ dives are with one----I'll never get in the water again without one....but maybe I went about it in the right order ie no computer vs computer diving.....

As a new diver you must really learn the tables and what is going on when you do repetitive dives.............

However, once you understand that, then having a dive computer makes diving so much easier and in my opinion more relaxing........

Could I dive without a computer, sure...........

Would I dive without a computer, not if I have any choice at all...............

Also with a wrist mounted unit you can look at depth ans time so easily, and that is key information even if you dive without the using it as a computer..........but since it shows also NDL that is bonus..............

Hope this helps..........M

here's my honest nonbiased opinion about diving computers......: my 1st 900+ dives were without a computer, my last 200+ dives are with one----I'll never get in the water again without one....but maybe I went about it in the right order ie no computer vs computer diving.....

I have a fraction of Diver 85's experience....but here's my $0.02!

I bought my computer right after finish my OW check out dives and before I head to Mexico for holiday. My first computer has been on every dive with me (except for one of the dives on my rescue course). It along with my mask were my first dive equipment purchases. I decided to do this based on discussion with my instructor LDS owner, but under no pressure from them. I knew that I was going to continue diving on a regular basis.

I think it makes sense to dive with a computer because it will keep track of your exact dive profile. No algorithm is perfect, but the computer will record what you are actually doing on the dive.

However, it DOES NOT mean that you shouldn't think about dive planning/dive profiles, etc. You can still do this and own a computer. I refer to my tables and my Suunto has a dive planning function that you can play with (assume other brands do as well).

OK, I've spent the last hour defrosting my freezer :dork2: (it had to be done -- I miss frost-free freezers with ice makers!) so I had some time to think about a couple more things I would add.

sagehen03, which ever computer you end up buying, learn how to use it. Sounds obvious, but until you've used it in different conditions (e.g., training at your local lake vs. multi-day holiday diving) you probably won't remember all of the functions. I keep the instruction manual in my log book that goes with me whenever I dive. But learn the various messages/warnings it will give you so you don't become concerned with an unfamiliar message under water. I learned from experience on this one as I didn't understand a warning and decided to end a dive early to be on the safe side. Had I understood the message it was giving me, I would have been able to continue the dive with no problems.

All of my (PADI) instructors are also technical divers/instructors. When went to pick up my computer, one of them showed me how to use the basic functions. Plus, he wanted me to understand how the display and info changes should I ever hit a NDL and go into deco. He wasn't advocating I do so, but wanted me to understand how to do a safe ascent and respect the deco stops required should I find myself in that situation.

Fast foward about 2.5 years. I was diving with a friend on a liveaboard. She had the same computer as me that she bought 2nd hand without an instruction manual. We were doing repetitive dives and needed to plan and watch our NDLs. While getting another photo of something, she accidently went into deco (very briefly) but didn't understand what her computer was telling her to do. She didn't communicate this to me or anyone else on the dive so we only knew after the fact when we all looked at her computer's log. She missed her deco stops so the computer locked her out, told her to stop diving & shut itself off, and the boat policies prevented her from diving for 1.5 days. Had she understood her computer better, she could have done the stops on that dive, and then continued diving the rest of the next 1.5 days. She took as a good lesson and did her nitrox theory course while she couldn't dive.

I know all of this sounds obvious, but on several occasions on holiday, I've witnessed people not really know how to use their computers.

Look for one that has a clear display and is easy for you to read, Some show so much information that can be hard to read the small numbers. I would also look for one with a user changeable battery ( or at least one that can be changed by your LDS). It is a real PITA to send it back to the factory to get the battery changed. I would also recommend a nitrox having to replace it and is available on both low end and higher priced computers.

As mentioned before make sure you know how to use your computer. They are a great tool, but only if you know how to use them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom