Drysuit Thermals - do business with this guy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My 4 way Antarctic does keep me warm. It does take alot of lead to sink it though. I am finding that I need about 30-36lbs. with a 96cu. ft LP steel tank no less. I am diving a Pinnacle EVO 2 suit drysuit.
But Ron, was a great guy to do business with.

I've just started diving a drysuit (evo 2 also) and I need that sort of weight with a temperate undergarment.

Do you know how the 4 way Antarctic compares to the Pinnacle temperate undergarment which is 500gsm?
The ebay listing says the 4 way Antarctic is 320gsm and two layer so that's 640gsm or is 320gsm for both layers?
If it is 640, would that be sigificantly warmer than the temperate undergarement? I ask 'cause I get cold arms with the temperate, rest of me is fine, just the arms but then some 5mm gloves might help there too.

Last edited:
I have the "2 layer 250 g/sqm" 4-way stretch garment and I also dive a Pinnacle Evo 2. In 45F water it alone is not quite warm enough, I'm a bit too cool for comfort. Someone who runs hot may be able to get by with it alone. I put a thin layer on underneath though, and I feel great.

When the water warms up some, maybe I won't need the base layer.

Weighing 200 lbs, I need this to sink: 119 cu ft steel tank, 6 lb backplate, 2 lb STA, 20 lb lead.

I really like the garment.

Hope that helps someone else who is shopping.

I've just started diving a drysuit (evo 2 also) and I need that sort of weight with a temperate undergarment.

Do you know how the 4 way Antarctic compares to the Pinnacle temperate undergarment which is 500gsm?
The ebay listing says the 4 way Antarctic is 320gsm and two layer so that's 640gsm or is 320gsm for both layers?
If it is 640, would that be sigificantly warmer than the temperate undergarement? I ask 'cause I get cold arms with the temperate, rest of me is fine, just the arms but then some 5mm gloves might help there too.

Burna,

I also ordered several undergarments for my wife and myself, I tend to run on the warm side so I went with the custom fit 280 gm suit only. However my wife tends to run on the cold side so in addition to the custom suit for her, I played it safe and also ordered her the 320 gm antarctica suit. It is a full two layers equaling 640 gm and has the look and feel of a very warm undergarment. I can not wait to get these things into the water to test them out. I told my wife that if she still gets cold with the 640 gm antarctica suit, I am out of ideas. If she goes any thicker, she would resemble the "Stay-Puff Marshmallow Man" and there would be no amount of lead that would get her below the surface. After spending some serious $$$ and a name brand undergarment for her, I am trying to think on ways to get the dive shop to take it back since it has not been used. Ron's quality and price of undergarments will allow you to purchase a couple of different options and then if you chose to sell one off to a buddy, you are still ahead of the game dollar wise. I know that after spending countless hours in from of the computer screen researching manufactures, brands, thicknesses, and quality; along with the rhetorical chest thumping of the companies explaining why their product is better than everyone else's, I am beyond pleased with our undergarments and the level of craftsmanship. Anyway I have rambled enough and I hope this helps you and good luck in your search.

The two times I dove and worked on getting down with my 4-Antarctic and particularly the last time I noticed how warm it was in 50 degree water. I believe I had my exhaust valve slightly shut by accident is one of the reasons it didn't go as planned, along with a free flowing reg. that really put a crimp on keeping my tank negative at the beginning of the dive.
I think once I get it right, I will be toasty and trimmed out in any kind of cool to cold water. Maybe another 4-6 lbs. might be enough to do the trick.
Thankfully, my Zeagle Ranger LTD BC can hold a total of 50 lbs. of weights.
Stay tuned, I'll know next time.

Well, my custom fit dry suit arrived and in the process of getting ready to test out our new undergarments from Ron. I/we (being the LDS) discovered that the dry suit mfg placed XXL socks on the suit instead of the needed ones for a size 11 boot:confused:. I looked like a freaking elf:rofl3:. Needless to say my first trial undergarment dive will have to be postponed until the suit is returned. I chomping to get into the big blue. Will update on the dive when it happens.

I think I'll send my 4 way Antarctic undergarment back to Ron and exchange it for the 250gr. quilted. The 4 way is just too buoyant for me to handle with all the lead I have to load in my BCD. It's a warm, well built undergarment just, not for me.

I sent Ron an e-mail message on E-bay yesterday and haven't heard back from him yet. I guess he's out of town.

Ron just e-mailed me and I'm sending back the 4 way and getting the Quilted 3 layer 250gr. undergarment. It has vents on the arms at the shoulders so it should be easier to get it to a manageable size to get it under the surface and start my descents without having to struggle. Nice guy!!

yep the antarctic is plenty warm but massive :D I dive with the 250X2 from Ron and just throw on an extra layer on top

I agree. I think the Antarctic is just that, made for some serious, cold water. Probably colder than I want to dive in. When you have to load your BCD with 30-40lbs. of weight and have a steel 95cu. ft. tank on your back, it becomes a real ordeal just to get to the water without a stumble, not my idea of fun.
I'm looking forward to diving the 3 way quilted 250 gr. this weekend if it gets here in time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom