Sardine run 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharkmaster

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi

Has anyone had word as to the progress of the Sardine run for 2009 ? Or
How the Shark diving is at the moment at Aliwal Shoal?

Hi

I also interested in getting information about Sardine Run 2009!
May be somebody has an updatable map about it.

With best regards!

We're also considering diving the Sardine Run this year and I've just started looking around for info. The KwaZulu-Natal Sharks Board usually tracks the progress of the sardine run and make the information available on a daily basis. I've just phoned their hotline and it seems the latest news they have are from 13 July last year, the tail end of the run. I can only assume that it's because no significant events have taken place yet this year. I'll keep an eye and an ear out and will post updates or further information that I can get my hands on here.

They have an updateable map as well but, like I said, nothing for this year's run yet.

I have tried to google the Sardine Run 2009 but as previously stated - there is very little out there on the progress. I did find some fishing forum (name slips me though - sorry) which seem to keep an update on the 'big stuff' gathering already and the sea temp each day. Me and some friends are flying out to Port Elizabeth 26th June 2009 - Safari first, then the Run (30th June to 4th July 09) then we are going up to Aliwal Shoal to dive with the Tigers and the 'Raggies'. We are diving the Run and Tigers with Mark Addison (Blue Wilderness diving) and diving the Shoal with Ferdi (Blue Vision diving) BOTH Excellent companies and people alike - we booked with Tim, he runs a fantastic company Africa-dive-safari.co.uk he really listens to what you are after and then puts a trip of a lifetime together for you - dived with them last year best diving of my life!

Sharkmaster, it is early in the season so information will be sketchy.
The only way to be sure of diving the "run" will be to be around for quite a while, with the ability to get to KZN at shortish notice.

The dates you have booked seem a touch early, but one never knows - somehow the sardines are not too bothered with calenders...:D

You will have a good experience with Mark Addison, have dived with them a lot both on the Shoal and Tigers.

There should be some Raggies on the Shoal already, numbers should be better by the end of the month, but having said that, we have found them there (or not) at strange times.

We are off to PE next weekend for their annual dive festival.

Either way, enjoy - the Shoal is my all time favorite SA dive site.

Thanks for the update SA-diver, it would be good if you could keep us posted with the action and it would be good to know how the dive festival went. Phil

Phil, will do.
One thing about Aliwal Shoal, apart from the large critters you find there, some of the best dives I have ever had were in Cathedral (where you could find Raggies as well). The macro life (Shrimps, Nudi's, Paperfish etc) is phenomenal.

I have not dived PE before, am looking forward to it, will let you know what it was like.
Kobus

Hi SA-diver,

Thank you very much for willing update us on Sardine Run 2009. It would be very interesting if you briefly describe intensity and specific facts of Sardine Run for last 2-3 years.

Many thanks

Muha

Everything I have posted so far is from diving there lots in the last few years.
I moved to Cape Town this year, so information I have will be second hand as well - however I will gladly share anything I find out.

Keep an eye on the links already provided, I will find links to the dive operators most likely to know what is happening and post those here as well.

Will also get info on the past runs and post, but that will only happen next week.

Back
Top Bottom