Petition against park closures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

renpirate

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
You may or may not know, but the State of California is proposing the closing of 220 parks, including Lobos, Ft. Ross, Salt Point, Van Damme, etc. The effect could be devastating to diving along our coast. Please, everyone, we've GOT to all contact our state elected officials, NOW! They will be making these decisions within the month.

(1) Go to this link and let your voice be heard. There is a form letter there for you to use, but please customize it with your own experiences. Take Action: Don't Close Our State Parks!

(2) Post that you've done it.

(3) PM, call, email and otherwise rouse your friends to do the same.

You may or may not know, but the State of California is proposing the closing of 220 parks, including Lobos, Ft. Ross, Salt Point, Van Damme, etc. The effect could be devastating to diving along our coast. Please, everyone, we've GOT to all contact our state elected officials, NOW! They will be making these decisions within the month.

(1) Go to this link and let your voice be heard. There is a form letter there for you to use, but please customize it with your own experiences. Take Action: Don't Close Our State Parks!

(2) Post that you've done it.

(3) PM, call, email and otherwise rouse your friends to do the same.

I sent one.

Andy.

I am bookmarking this thread.

I will be in touch with Steve tomorrow who is up the ladder in PADI, Hoping for some help from them!

Thanks for the link, I will fill it out!

They tried "closing" parks in Erie county a while back.
I would not worry about it. They did not have the money to pay to enforce the "closing". People still used the parks, and to surprise they stayed clean too.

I've done mine as per my post on saving Point Lobos. Took only 2 minutes!

I've been in communication with Monterey's park superintendant and the State Parks Foundation and it is VERY real that the parks could close.

Letters from organizations carry even more weight. What they need is a letter of support to keep our state parks open on their letterhead faxed to the State Parks Foundation.

They tried "closing" parks in Erie county a while back.
I would not worry about it. They did not have the money to pay to enforce the "closing". People still used the parks, and to surprise they stayed clean too.

Unfortunately that is not how California works and it has already been proven with many forest closures. They will lock the gates that keeps divers out since no one wants to walk a mile in their gear. It will be impossible to keep hikers and bikers out of the parks. I do fear vandalism, but most people who enjoy nature around here are willing to pick up garbage every now and again, from the few bad seeds.

California is also very good at writing tickets and may see it as a source of revenue.

So far the peoples out cry is being heard, but still needs to be heard LOUDER! I already have sent letters.

yep, they tried all that here.
Did not go over well, the locks disappeared at night. There where so many people the cops did not have enough ink, they just gave up.
After a few months of this crap the gov finally remembered who there boss is.

I know it may seem that we could easily overcome this problem and I would ordinarily agree. However, with a $24 billion deficit there aren't a lot of options. There will be devestating cuts, our best hopes are to limit the damage.

Well Comrades...what services do you think should be cut to keep the state budget in-line? I'm not agreeing that shutting down the parks is right, I'm just interested in seeing what people think is expendable in these times.

Back
Top Bottom