Dive Bonne Terre Mine's $30,000 Treasure Hunt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got a 9:00am time slot for my first dive, and a 7:00am arrival time, thats about a 5:30 leave my house time, and a 4:30 get out of bed time..... I might as well head down there right now!

I signed up! Can't wait! :)

I dove Bonne Terre 2 weeks ago, did trails 1-4 and had an awesome time... great operation they have there. In fact, they're the first 4 dives I've logged in my book as I just got OW certified in May. If you've not gone, I'd highly recommend it - the experience was well worth it.

See you guys at the Treasure Hunt!

OZ

My White's Fusion arrived today! YAY!!! It will be it's maiden voyage in the mine! :D I am stoked!

The event is here... TODAY! It's RIGHT NOW!
YOU'RE MISSING IT!!!

If you are not here you are missing a wonderful, wonderful event! Whites, Bonica, USVI and Cayman are all here giving out smoking deals! The party is just now getting started and the real fun will start in just a few hours.

I'll get back to that in just a few, but let me tell you about the dive site first. This is an old abandoned lead mine from the 1800s. They ran out of lead one day, so they simply abandoned it. Trains, tools, shovels, clothes, lanterns or what have you were just left as the 3000 miners simply abandoned the mine and turned off the pumps. Now years later, with the help of one pump to stabilize the water level, Doug Goergens has created the ultimate underground and underwater playground just outside of the Gateway to the West: St Louis, Mo.

First of all... NO there is no residual lead in the water. It's absolutely safe and wonderful. The water is a deep cupric blue and it's gorgeous! They have enough light down here to light a small city and the simply water glows from it: you don't even need a light! It's simply HUGE going back 17 miles, but don't fret: their guides will keep you safe from harm and having fun. If you haven't put Bonne Terre Mines on your bucket list, you should pencil it in right now. Look for an article later about the features of the mine. I was awed several times in my first dive yesterday!

But this is about the chips. There are 120+ divers here today looking for treasure: for chips! They are lead to one of four areas where the chips are scattered (never hidden). The black chips are worth $1000, the blue chips are worth $500 on down those chips which are worth only $25. The divers speed around the bottom like a submersed packman, gobbling up energy chips. Tonight after the diving stops, they will take their total on chips and start to bid on various donated prizes. Spirits are high and EVERYONE is having fun. If you missed THIS one, don't fret too much: next year's gold hunt will be BIGGER with more prizes and divers and probably me to boot!

In my case, I was literally a submerged Packman - since "Packman" is my last name.

NetDoc, was really great to meet you. Wish I could have dove withya. Thanks for sponsoring this event. Also thank you for your hard work on ScubaBoard - it is a great resource. Hopefully our paths will cross again some day.

I do have a medical question for you (I *know* you luv the medical questions):

My Punny-Bone is sore from all your horrible puns! Do you have any suggestions for treatment?

Hasta Luego,
(< ---Packman--- >)

You're killing me!I told the fleepster about the confusion peeps have with my user name: I fix sick networks and NOT peeps! :D

There is no known cure for my humor... Once addicted you just have to keep feeding it!
Posted via Mobile Device

Wow!
What an amazing event :)

Early Saturday morning, prior to the Treasure Hunt, my dive buddy and I were filled with excitement... not knowing what to expect, we headed into the dive shop early. Already, the area was filled with divers from every walk of life! We were ushered to our parking spot and the fun began.

At our dive briefing, we were told basically how the event would go... and shortly after; 'scuba dressed' to the waist, we began our descent into the mine! The cool air was refreshing and the sites were awesome; huge rock pillars, solid rock walls with veins of metal running through them... mineral deposits and the starts of what will most likely be formidable stalagmites in a thousand years! :wink: Once down, at what I can only guess was 100+ feet below the surface of the earth, was a floating dock. This is where we received our tanks and geared up.

With 120 people to get through the dives, it's no surprise that we didn't have much time to get ready, but it worked! I commend the Dive Staff for keeping us all in line AND not just on time, but early! With air on and gear in order we hopped in, after and OK sign we were on our way to the first chip area. It was a relatively short surface swim and we gathered around our guide waiting for the thumbs down. After a couple head counts, we were off to the races! 10 minutes of bottom time was allotted for each group to find as many chips as possible. I think it was normal to feel like a complete noob, but after a few minutes I got the hang of finding the chips. At the end of 10 minutes, they flashed us with dive lights and we surfaced. We then surface swam to area 2 and did a repeat. Another 10 minutes of bottom time, and then a quick zip tie of our poker chip bags and we were done with our first dive of the day.

We had a couple hour surface interval, enough time to dry off and get some lunch and we were back for dive 2. It went the same way and a final tally of our chips was done. We all proudly carried our auction cards up the stairs and out of the mine.

After the last dive group exited the mine, the BBQ arrived. I'm not sure if it was due to having such a busy day or my measly energy bar for lunch but that dinner was heavenly! Hot dogs, BBQ pork, baked beans, potato salad, and even cake! My mouth is watering just thinking about it. The 100+ of us gathered in an outdoor covered area with lots of tables and chairs waiting for the start of the auction.

With Steve at the helm, the auction ended up being half a comedy show and half an auction. That guy is a trip and I may ask him to sign my fins next year. :wink: I sat up front with my buddy Tamara and a great group of divers I had met that day and enjoyed the show. Hey Jon and Shelby! The auctions were nonstop fun and I think most of us have sore sides today from all of the laughing.

I got to meet NetDoc, what a wealth of knowledge in this guy wrapped up in a warm, humorous shell! Was nice meeting you man!

The last thing that really left an impression on me was the Bonne Terre Dive Staff. They are the nicest most down to earth group of folks I've ever met. They treated me just like family and I can't wait to see them again. I'd love to name them all but I'm pushing 32 so my memory is getting bad :p and I don't want to leave anyone out. Anyway, each one of them was super accommodating and at the heart of making this phenomenal event a success.

I'm hooked and I'll be a part of this event as long as they'll have me.

See you next year!!
OZ
(Will Osborn)

Question... I have some topside pics from the event. I plan to upload them to the gallery, but can they be inserted into a post? If so, how???

Question... I have some topside pics from the event. I plan to upload them to the gallery, but can they be inserted into a post? If so, how???

1) Copy down the URLs of the images in the gallery.
2) When creating/editing a post, look for the Insert Image icon (
insertimage.gif
) in the toolbar immediately above the edit box, usually somewhere towards the middle-ish. Move the edit cursor to the point in the post where you want to insert the image. Click on said icon, and paste in the URL of the image.
3) Repeat for each image.

Note: In posts, it's generally polite to insert images no wider than 1000ish pixels to avoid a lot of left and right scrolling when reading. However, you can paste the smaller image, and then select it and turn it into a hyperlink to the big original by clicking on the Insert Link icon (
createlink.gif
) in the toolbar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom