Making your own weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you ever check craigslist?

And about wasting time. Some would say that any hobby (diving?) is a waste of time. Melting lead and molding useful things during your spare time can be fun. And I even enjoy changing my own oil, which also is not "cost effective", but is rewarding.

And a word of warning!!!
Make sure there is no Water in your lead or the mold.. There is nothing like an explosion in your lead pot to mess up your day. Be Careful

Cheers

Dan

After posting on here and another site.

A member from the other site had 45lbs of shotgun lead shot(7.5mm), thread and fabric. He was going to make the weights for he and his family but 5years later the items stayed in the shed. So now I go them and have already made 2X 1lbs, 2X 2lbs, 2X 3lbs, 2X 4lbs and 2X 5lbs. I hope to get the weight pouches sown some time during the week. I will be using nylon coated cotton and black teflon string to keep the pouches together.

Well after posting this tid bit I have my weights all sown shut and holding pretty good. The only thing I forgot was to get some white thread to sow on a number to show the different weights. but instead I had a silver sharpie and just wrote the number on each bag. I even have lead left over I thik I might make a few half ound weights. I did a semi-modified sane knot type stich the same used when stitching fabric to an aricraft fuselage. Who knew that skill I learned 10 years ago would be used now to put weights together. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom