Help me understand underwater communication

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm an Industrial Design Student from Pasadena, California, and I'm working on a project based on underwater communication/data recording.

I'm looking to get a better understanding on what scuba divers like and dislike about their current equipment and it's functionality underwater. I'll be happy to hear your feedback on the current equipment.

If you could invent something to help you out/make scuba diving safer/more enjoyable what would it be and how would it work?

Thanks,

Design Student

One of the biggest dangers in diving today is people relying on equipment instead of skills. With very few exceptions, equipment solutions end up making diving more dangerous in the long run.

The foundations of underwater communication for recreational scuba divers are universally recognized hand signals. These are often supplemented with light signals (using the beam of flashlights to get attention or ask simple status questions). Some people add underwater slates or wetnotes (waterproof note pad) to enable them to communicate by writing more detailed questions/answers but this practice is pretty limited in scope.

For the most part, hand signals, body language and facial expressions are all you really need to effectively communicate below water...as Walter stated, adding techology really isn't the answer...there isn't anything really wrong with the way it's done now. Some of us like the fact that we can't hear anyone talking.

A cheap, reliable and compact CO2 sensor for rebreathers.

However, since you're limiting the suggestions to communication devices, I'd like an all plastic mechanical pencil that uses lead that is 0.9 mm or maybe even a bit more. Any metal will most likely end up being made out of some cheap crap that rusts fairly quickly. This would make my underwater notepad 10x more useful than it already is since I'd be able to write smaller and fit more onto the pages.

Too many people are trying to re-invent the wheel...basic simple practical gear is the only way to go. Almost like Coors trying to make their products more marketable by making a "cooler" case that you can just open and add the ice, and the "cold indicator" can...rather then try to make bells and whistles, just make a better beer! (and for those that DO like Coors, if it ain't broke...don't fix it!) Nothing makes a better diver except the DIVER! Equipment made to "make diving easier" is a recipe for failure! Sorry! Some of the gadgets and gizmos they are making are just that! A good functioning regulator, a practical BCD and a reliable mask and fins! Add your favorite exposure suit and you are ready to rock!

As far as communication, good hand signals work, if all parties involved agree on them. (something to go over if you have a new buddy) And if anything is hard to comprehend, there is a slate. Simple & effective! (well that is if your pencil doesn't flake out on you) At the dive show in Jersey at the end of March, there was a company marketing a plastic pencil/slate system, it looked good on paper, but one of my buddies bought one (I almost did) and doesn't like how it works. (I'm glad I didn't get back to the stand to buy it) A bunch of stolen golf pencils works great! (you can actually buy them by the box for cheap)

What to invent to make diving more enjoyable? A transporter system to get me from Pennsylvania to the Florida Keys!

Sorry!

The only communication tool I'd like to see is a small diameter, but shorter than 20"" long, dual frequency PLB with built in GPS that could be attached to a tank and take about 400' of submersion without additional housings. The FCC has already shot that down multiple times though. Seems they "don't have a category for it."

God help us when people start texting underwater ... if you think it's hard keeping buddies together now ... :shocked2:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

God help us when people start texting underwater ... if you think it's hard keeping buddies together now ... :shocked2:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

But Bob, they have that now. I think it was Onespeed linked to an underwater comm system that texts preloaded messages or something. So iwetphone is just around the corner.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/4443683-post60.html

Hi guys,
I'm an Industrial Design Student from Pasadena, California, and I'm working on a project based on underwater communication/data recording.

I'm looking to get a better understanding on what scuba divers like and dislike about their current equipment and it's functionality underwater. I'll be happy to hear your feedback on the current equipment.

If you could invent something to help you out/make scuba diving safer/more enjoyable what would it be and how would it work?

Thanks,

Design Student

Interesting question. Although I understand and agree that we can sometimes over-engineer things, I think it is always good to keep exploring new ideas. Most won't make it, but the market will take care of that. Then again, you might just come up with the next best thing since canned air.

I cannot think of any technology that I would need to improve communication, but the second part of your question about data recording may pose some opportunities.

Maybe there could be some tools for recording underwater survey information, fish populations, reef health, GPS locations, archeological data, etc that would help professional divers.

Hey... this is "kind of" a communication idea: How about a device that would allow the dive boat to pinpoint the location of each diver in and under the water.

Best wishes,
-Mike-

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom