Looking for environmentally friendly lubricant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AbyssalPlains

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I'm looking for a lubricant for stainless steel boltsnaps that is non-polluting. I was thinking of vegetable oil, but I wonder if there are other, non-perishable, alternatives out there?

crisco??

I think just about any "natural" lubricant that doesn't pollute is also going to be water soluble. Brass bolt snaps don't require lube, just a healthy rinse after the dive.

Hi all,

I'm looking for a lubricant for stainless steel boltsnaps that is non-polluting. I was thinking of vegetable oil, but I wonder if there are other, non-perishable, alternatives out there?

I was thinking there are all sorts of options which you likely already have on hand...but you mean the boltsnaps are being used for diving...oh...sorry. :whistling:

KY works well.

Or so I've been told.

I was thinking there are all sorts of options which you likely already have on hand...but you mean the boltsnaps are being used for diving...oh...sorry. :whistling:

Ha-ha, definitely funny. Got it. :D

However, how can a water-based lubricant be useful? As soon as the bolt snap hits the water, the lubrication is gone.

I was thinking more along the lines of chain saw oil or something like that.

I prefer stainless steel snaps over brass because they don't cut your fingers. Yes, I'm a girl, I admit it.... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom