What I won at Bonne Terre Mine's Treasure Hunt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ninja Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all you SB fans!!

Bonne Terre Mine's Treasure hunt "sponsored by ScubaBoard" was a HUGE success!!
In one day, we did almost 300 dives, treated everyone to a BBQ and GAVE AWAY $30,000 IN DONATED PRIZES during the auction.
We've asked the winners, to respond to this thread and tell you about the GREAT prizes they won.

Thanks from the staff at Bonne Terre Mine to everyone who participated in this years event. Especially to ScubaBoard for sponsoring the event and to ALL the companies who donated prizes.

A special thanks to Steve D for running the whole thing!! I had an amazing time diving at Bonne Terre, and it was my first trip there. I'll definitely be back! I was fortunate enough to win the Explorer Venture live-aboard package and although I've never been able to go on a live-aboard I hear this is the one to start with!! Again thanks to Steve and Explorer Ventures and I can't wait to do it again next year!!

Steven V

This was our third trip to Bonne Terre Mine and our first time participating in the Treasure Hunt. Bonne Terre is a super cool place to dive anyway, but when you add free food & drinks, along with the possibility of coming away with an awesome prize, it's even better - especially when you can have the whole experience for less than it normally costs just to dive!

I expected to be schooled by veteran treasure hunters, so I didn't have my hopes up for winning any prizes; I just went in with the attitude that it would be a great time. As it turned out, though, I won an 8-day, 7-night trip to St. Croix! Not only that, but the package included a week's worth of 2-tank boat dives at Cane Bay Dive Shop!

My wife and I hadn't gotten around to planning our next dive trip yet, but now we're heading to the US Virgin Islands - ironically, this will be our first time diving in warm water in our own country! I had read about Cane Bay and its famous 3200-foot wall in Sport Diver magazine, so it's been on my must-dive list for some time. I just didn't think we'd get the chance to go so soon!

The event itself was extremely well-organized. There were well over 100 divers, several representatives of gear manufacturers, dive operators, and resorts, etc. It was like a big scuba diving trade show with caterers and live music to boot, yet somehow the staff managed to run the event seamlessly - the whole thing went off without a hitch. We'll definitely be returning to Bonne Terre for next year's Treasure Hunt!

Ben

I came a long way for the event, flying in from New Hampshire. Bonne Terre Mines has been on my list of places to dive for years now as I have read many articles about the place. Finally I got the opportunity to make the trip, not specifically for the contest mind you, but because I wanted to dive the mines. The contest was just an added benefit for me.

When I arrived at the mines I had no idea what to expect. On Friday when I arrived I took the underground tour and boat ride. While I was on the tour the excitement was building for me as I saw how big this place really is. It's hard to describe to other people how there's a huge underground lake that you dive in. All I can say is wow!

Saturday was contest day and I was motivated to do my best to attempt to win something if I could. I prepared my gear by making sure I was slightly overweighted so I could drop quickly to the bottom hopefully before other divers giving me a slight advantage in having first dibs on the poker chips. My plan worked pretty well as I was the first diver on the bottom on each dive within my group, as far as I could tell. I wasn't stopping to look about to see other divers positions to verify, but for at least 20-30 seconds I was completely unobstructed on each dive. I was able to gather between all 4 dives over 70 plus poker chips. Of course most of this has to do with luck really and even though I did gather a large amount of chips I just did not get enough of the elusive black poker chips. I ended up somewhere in the upper middle for total dollar amount.

Being that I was not close enough to the top prizes I thought I might walk away with some cool door prizes maybe. As it turns out I walked away with a 700.00 off discount for a Solmar V live-aboard trip!!!! I was ecstatic as I have never been on a live-aboard cruise before and have had this on my list for my next dive trip. The Solmar V, if your not familiar, sales to three different locations; Guadalupe, Sea of Cortez, and the Socorro Islands. All unique in what can be seen. This is a major opportunity for me as a father of 4 children and with the economy as it is money is always tight. This prize goes a long way in helping me achieve another dive dream.

Lets of course not forget why I came to Bonne Terre in the first place which was to dive the mines. Being my first time in the mines I dove trails 1, 2, and 4 on Sunday. Each dive built on the previous one as the swim throughs got slightly smaller on each dive and the trails got slightly longer. How I have been describing the amazing experience to fellow divers back home is, it's like diving in a sunken city swimming in between skyscrapers or buildings. At 55' looking up I could see all the way to the surface towards the top of the pillars holding the mines roof up. Looking down I could see 80' into what seemed like a bottomless pit in some places. The artifacts that you see and history of the mine make it just an incredible experience diving. I will definitely be back, now that my curiosity has been satisfied I am challenged with wanting to see what the other 21 trails have to offer.

Overall I had a fantastic time diving, winning prizes, and meeting other divers which is always a big part of diving for me. It's not just the dives it's the interactions with other divers from different walks of life and the lasting friendships that are made. I guess that makes it fitting that Scubaboard sponsored the event. Scubaboard which helps build communities of divers with the same interests worldwide. Special thanks to Scubaboard, Scuba Steve the founder, Solmar V of course, and all the vendors that made the event so much fun.

Thank you for the experience.

Sincerely,

Mick

This was my second time to the Bonne Terre Mine Treasure Hunt, and this year I won a Whites MK2 undergarment which came in quite handy since last year at the treasure hunt I won a new Whites Fusion drysuit. I can't wait till next year as the quanity and quality of my gear inventory seems to grow with each event there. I would like to thank the Folks at Whites for taking the time to participate again this year. They were there all day letting people try on their suits and answering questions. Its nice to see a company thats out talking with divers and getting feedback on their products.
Also, while the thanks are going out, I would like to thank the staff at Bonne Terre Mine for once again for putting together such a well run event. The dives were completed ahead of schedule, the auction went off without a hitch, and the BBQ was great. Thank you for the great memories.

Grand Prize Winner/Sunset House Grand Cayman

Fifteen years ago this year, my wife and I took our honeymoon in Grand Cayman. At the time we were not familiar with the island and learned very quickly the Sunset House Resort was the place for divers. We had dinner at the exquisite SeaHarvest Restaurant after visiting Cathy Church's underwater photo center. Having world class shore diving and boat dives to some of the best locations in the Caribbean, we vowed that when we returned for an anniversary honeymoon we would stay at your resort. Thanks to your generosity and the fine staff at Bonne Terre Mine we will be returning as the Grand Prize winner of the Bonne Terre Mine Treasure Hunt. Our excitement can hardly be contained. We look forward to visiting your beautiful resort and will be counting down every day. Thanks again! You're AWESOME!!

Sincerely,

Dave and Debbie Rusteberg

Bonne Terre Mine is the place to be. Like no other diving experience in the world.

My Account of the Day

Begin your dive at the full service dive shop with a safety briefing including the rules and regulations..... with some comedy relief along the way. As anticipation grows, so does the countdown for your groups turn to enter the mine- 20 minutes..... 10 minutes.....5 minutes... by now your heart is racing. You're up!! A short walk to the staging dock and it's time to get the gear on. (For me it was a bit like getting ready for a dive during a pop-up thunderstorm in the Caribbean.... adrenaline rush!!!!! There was nothing more refreshing than jumping into that gin clear water dressed for business. With a short swim to the treasure-filled area you are on your way to quite possibly the most exhilarating dive of your life! Make your way to the bottom into the shadowy depths to earn enough treasure dollars to buy the trip of a lifetime.... or some super cooool gear. The food was delicious! The music was great!

Never to be missed again, it is on my annual calendar. The divers that I met were very courteous and entertaining. Everyone has an unusual/exciting story to tell. Thanks again to the staff at BTM and Scubaboard for putting this event together and the awesome companies/resorts donations in which there were none to disappoint.

drusteberg

Last edited:
this dive for me was one of the best expierences of my life i was extremely delighted that i decided to go not only was i in awe when i stepped foot into the mine i also was able to win a trip aboard black beards liveaboard how cool is that i just started diving and this expierence i had i definatley going to keep me diving i mean u pull up to bonne terre and thee is no water anywhere i was in amazement at the beauty of the mine and then u get to see the aqua blue water that never changes temp the staff is extremely friendly and to richard russel im sorry u didnt have a good time but it sounds like to me by all the other posts ive read that it must be 99% of the people had a great time i will be back to bonne terre mines again thank u bonne terre for the hospitality and for a memory that will last forever

Awesome Prizes, Diving, Shenanigans, Great Folks, Food, Beverages, Perfect Weather, Gracious Hosts, Fun Auction, Silly Banter, Old friends and New ... I guess you could say it was a decent day :wink:

Big thanks to the sponsers who donated the prizes. This was an excellent venue for people in the dive industry to advertise their products and services. Special thanks to the Golden Reef Inn on Bonaire which donated the seven day trip for two which I won - I have not yet been to Bonaire so I am completely stoked. Golden Reef Inn's owner/manager is "dvrliz1" on scubaboard and she has posted an unbelievable "last minute deal" for those of you interested in visiting Bonaire in the next couple months-here is a link to her post: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tr...naire-packages-ever-jun-jul-aug-w-nitrox.html Look forward to meeting you soon Liz!!!

Thanks Again for another great event BTM.

There once was a hunt at Bonne Terre,
Even NetDoc was there.

After finding some chips,
I bid on some trips,
And won a trip to Bonaire!

(<--- Packman--->)

Hello all you SB fans!!

Bonne Terre Mine's Treasure hunt "sponsored by ScubaBoard" was a HUGE success!!
In one day, we did almost 300 dives, treated everyone to a BBQ and GAVE AWAY $30,000 IN DONATED PRIZES during the auction.
We've asked the winners, to respond to this thread and tell you about the GREAT prizes they won.

Thanks from the staff at Bonne Terre Mine to everyone who participated in this years event. Especially to ScubaBoard for sponsoring the event and to ALL the companies who donated prizes.
I had a very good time at the Bonne Terre treasure dive on June 6th. It would have been fun even if I hadn't won a $500 gift certificate toward the purchase of a Fishers u/w metal detector. I will soon order it and you can be certain that it will be well used, since I do quite a bit of artifact hunting. thanks to all your staff and the very generous vendors who contributed to your event. I plan to be there next year.

Don Bouchard

I had a very good time at the Bonne Terre treasure dive on June 6th. It would have been fun even if I hadn't won a $500 gift certificate toward the purchase of a Fishers u/w metal detector. I will soon order it and you can be certain that it will be well used, since I do quite a bit of artifact hunting. thanks to all your staff and the very generous vendors who contributed to your event. I plan to be there next year.

Don Bouchard

Back
Top Bottom