Cost of Tamiflu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

habarisc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Like many I am not canceling my 2 week vacation. And I did get a Rx from my Doctor for Tamiflu.
What truly shocked me was the cost- $112.00- for 10 capsules. The pharmacist also told me the pharmacy was sent a large supply which they did not need and is unable to return it.
It makes you wonder who is behind the panic about this flu??????????????
Has anyone purchased it in Mexico and for what cost?

Like many I am not canceling my 2 week vacation. And I did get a Rx from my Doctor for Tamiflu.
What truly shocked me was the cost- $112.00- for 10 capsules. The pharmacist also told me the pharmacy was sent a large supply which they did not need and is unable to return it.
It makes you wonder who is behind the panic about this flu??????????????
Has anyone purchased it in Mexico and for what cost?

Just curious why you felt the need to purchase Tamiflu for travel to Cozumel?

As of today, we STILL have no reported cases in Cozumel and the "Mexican" threat of contracting this flu is no longer a valid concern as cases are reported in virtually every country! Furthermore, as it turns out, this string is no more "dangerous" or aggressive than the garden variety flu.

I'm curious to know what your current source of information is regarding the "pig flu" to lead you to this post?

BTW - I haven't heard of any cancellations since the initial scare/outbreak and most of us have been back to business as usual since mid-May.

I was originally planning to see if my doctor would write me a prescription before going in July, but in light of the latest info on this bug, I've since decided it isn't needed. Even if there were a few cases in Cozumel I wouldn't get any because the risk would still be no different than at home.

We were paying $130 for the 10 pill dose shortly after the announcements about it broke. Our supplier had a 10 dose limit.

I got the Tamiflu mostly because of my family and coworkers concern and I won't be in Cozumel the entire time.
Yes I have kept up with the threads on this forum. I was more concerned with the travel layovers in a busy airport than the threat in Cozumel.

I had gotten a prescription of some tamiflu a few years ago, and it wasn't anywhere near that price, and it also made me feel worse than I did when I didn't take it.

swine flu is just going to become seasonal flu, you don't really need to take a lot more precautions over it than you would traveling during normal flu season. the major issue would be getting sick while on vacation and that kind of sucking (been there, done that). you don't normally take tamiflu with you over seasonal flu concerns though.

Then I suggest you wear a surgical mask and gloves ($2) at all times if you're that worried. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, but look out for that rental gear...:rofl3:

On a more serious note, the experts are saying a virus like this was running around in 1957, many people developed a natural immunity towards it. That is why it is now affecting the young or ones born after that date primarily.

On a more serious note, the experts are saying a virus like this was running around in 1957, many people developed a natural immunity towards it. That is why it is now affecting the young or ones born after that date primarily.

Not exactly. The pre-1957 virus is just more like the 1918 virus than current seasonal flu and the human swine flu virus evolved away from the 1918 virus, so that pre-1957 viruses were closer relatives to this human swine flu virus than seasonal flu is. It may be enough to convey some partial immunity. The viruses circulating pre-1957 were not really 'like' this swine flu, however. They aren't the same thing. Just sufficiently similar to provoke some immune response.

However, there's still a lot of speculation about the pre-1957 viruses conveying partial immunity to older people, and the biggest problem is this:

"Those aged 5 to 18 make up 29% of swine flu hospitalizations. Because so many cases of H1N1 swine flu have been transmitted in schools, it's possible that older people only seem to be protected because they've had less contact with younger people."

Swine Flu Less Severe for Over-50s?

The virus is spreading most rapidly in elementary schools and among young kids, and their parents, which may explain most of the demographic trends in who is showing up in the ER needing medical attention for it.

Back
Top Bottom