Hexagon Grouper?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bmorescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Searched through every grouper type I can find. Don't have a photo with the full body. Probably around 40ft, Little Cayman, May 2009. Thanks!

Attachments

• hexagons.jpg
    hexagons.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 70
That is a Tiger Grouper in cleaning station colors. It has faint stripes on the sides that become more distinct in it's darker phase, which it can affect very rapidly.

Courtney

Wow - Thanks for your quick reply! I'm just starting diving more seriously and I have so much to learn, but I love the process of trying to ID all the marine life.

You will see more groupers around Little Cayman and Cayman Brac than anywhere else in the Caribbean. A hexagon grouper is very, very pretty but I have only seen them in the Pacific. Sometimes mother nature can create colour schemes that simply defy imagination. It can be very humbling........

I think I may have seen them in the Red Sea also, but I con't remember for sure.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom