Lionfish are in Roatan.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If lionfish do become a problem around Roatan there will be an easy fix. Simply put them on the Honduran protected list and show a few locals who specialize in Mccoy which is an Island stew usually with Iguana, island rabbit(wattusa/Agouti), chicken and dumplings, how to cook them and the problem will be solved.
For years now South Florida has worried over the iguana population. That too could be solved with half a dozen good igauana hunters from Roatan and a boat with a large refridgerated hold so they can transport them back to Roatan. Islanders would eat well for a while and the wealthy South Floridians would no longer have to deal with iguana poop in their pools.

Check this one out....

We found this little cutie pie at Dixies. The first dive site to the left as you come out the Half Moon Bay channel in West-End.

lionFish2.jpg

It will just be a matter of time when Honduras adopts what the Belizean govt had been trying to do.

Just got back from Belize and thought that posters on some bars and dive shops were a joke since I saw a few of the Lionfish on our trips to the South Pacific when it read "Wanted Dead or Alive Lionfish" which the Belizean govt also will pay for a dead or alive capture. The bar tenders and DM later told me it all started from a Floridian who had released it from an aquarium. They are not indigenous to the Atlantic Ocean but now starting to follow the barrier reef!

Would like to share this email that I received yesterday from a friend. Marco, maybe it's time for the lionfish burger!

Hello Everyone,

I heard that the first lionfish was sighted on the north side of the island. They are beautiful fish, and make stunning photographic models, and of course everyone wants to see one. As an invasive species and voracious predator, they also represent the one of the biggest environmental threats to the reef system. I have extensive experience with these fish, both as an aquarist and a diver, and would like to share some of this with you, and impress upon you the importance of dealing with this threat immediately.

I was an instructor in North Carolina for two years. Lionfish were known to be around, and had been for a couple of years. At the beginning of my first year, they were rarely seen, and only on the further offshore wrecks. I was as eager as anyone to see my first lionfish. By the end of the second year, I was seeing them on every dive, at every site, usually in multilple numbers. Some wrecks had populations of 30 or more, and aquarists were flocking to the coast to aquire specimens. By the time NOAA finally got into the act, it was obvious that they presented a major problem. NOAA brought a large research vessel and a team of scientists to determine the scale of the problem. Their stated goal was to dive twice a day for a week, in the hopes of collecting about 30 fish for DNA analysis. Local divers laughed at this, we already knew how widespread the problem was. In the first two days of diving, over 80 were caught. They are now found as far north as Rhode Island in the summer months, and have spread as far south as Nicaragua from their original starting point in Florida, wreaking havoc on local fish populations. In parts of the Bahamas, the are the predominant predator on many reefs.

Lionfish are related to scorpion fish, and eat just about anything, from juvenile groupers to cardinal fish to crustaceans. According to the lates issue of Alert Diver, they eat on average .3 ounces a day. Larger fish, up to 18 inches, can eat much more. They tend to eat smaller fish, but will eat anything they can swallow. They hunt like frog fish, and like frog fish, the mouth is the largest part, and can eat prey larger than themselves. They have no natural predators in the caribbean. The only fish that do eat them are some sharks and possibly the largest of groupers, both of which are in short supply on Roatan. In any case, natural predation has failed to contain them anywhere in this hemisphere.

When spawning, lionfish can produce up to 30,000 eggs, and can grow 7 inches a year, reaching sexual maturity in just a year or two. In their home environments, they spawn twice a year. For reasons yet unknown, in the caribbean they seem to spawn continuously year round. DNA analysis by NOAA indicate that Atlantic and Caribean populations are all very closely related, coming from the same source. Considering that they were first documented in Florida in in the mid 1990's, their range is astonishing both in scope and the short time required.

They are very hardy fish, tolerant of a wide range of water conditions, and notoriously hard to kill. They can go for months without eating, and even the foulest of fishtanks dont seem to concern them, and are adept at hiding in small crevices. I learned this while trying to dispose of an aquarium specimen without getting stung. Lionfish stings are similar to those of scorpionfish, but much worse. Larger specimens of some species can kill a human being.

Efforts at controlling them have had mixed results at best. Once established, they are impossible to get rid of. The best bet is to keep the populations in check after the first sighting. All lionfish must be removed as soon as sighted. The prevailing strategy is to have a team of trained divers who can respond to sighting. Under no circumstances should untrained divers be allowed to try, due to the dangers involved in handling these fish, and the skill needed to find and hunt them. The best way to hunt them is to use hand nets for smaller individuals, and pole spears or hawaiian slings for larger ones. Extreme caution must be used, as even a dead fish will still have poisonous dorsal spines. Lionfish tend to be very territorial, once they find a good hunting ground, they are likely to stay. They also move quite slowly (except for the actually swallowing of prey, which is faster than the eye can see). They prefer to hunt at dusk and dawn, and are easiest to find at these times. The rest of the time they sit on the bottom or hide in crevices, and despite their very colorful markings, are suprisingly difficult to spot. On the plus side, they do make good eating, similar to grouper.

All dive shops should encourage customers to report sightings so that the fish can be culled, the faster the better. This will require coordination and efforts from all the dive operations and the marine park to have any kind of impact. REEF can help with training and workshops. The man to talk to is Lad Atkins. Paula Whitfield was the original NOAA project head in North Carolina.

Some contacts for more information and resources are listed below. If there is anything else I can do to help in any way, please dont hesitate to contact me. This is a serious problem and must be dealt with. Please distribute this letter to any interested parties and dive shops who have not received it.

Marc Cruciani
MI 183782
scubadiver101@hotmail.com

The bar tenders and DM later told me it all started from a Floridian who had released it from an aquarium.
Good that this bartender finally knows the truth as researches for years have not known for sure how they got here. It has ben speculated they were relaeased as well as come in in ships ballasts or been in process of being imported for fish tanks and a container ship lost the container, weird currents and more. Good to hear the bartender guy has it nailed down

Exactly how they got here is no longer a very relevant issue, I am afraid. They are here now, and will continue to spread very quickly throughout the entire Caribbean. The article in Alert Diver covers their mating habits and the releasing of eggs into the upper water currents so they are spread extensively everywhere "downstream"!

Combine this with the fact that they have been seen down to @500ft, where hunting them becomes a bit more difficult :shakehead:, this is a problem which we are still witnessing the very beginning of, I fear, and which is going to grow exponentially in years to come.

Every pair of eyes underwater needs to be trained to watch out for these invaders, and an immediate and extensive eradication undertaken whenever they appear, as soon as the first one is spotted. The sooner all divers, resorts, governments, lds', and publications become involved in this the more likely we are of making an impact while we still can. If we still can?:shakehead:

Sad to confirm that there have now been a total of 4 sightings, 2 of which have ben caught. Most of these seem to be small but unfortunately the first one that was seen and caught was adult. This photo was taken on May 23rd just before it was removed from the reef.

Lionfish_003.jpg

That thing looks like a tasty fish sandwitch to me!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom