Suunto Cobra QD leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CrazyUncle

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My sons Cobra quick dissconnect has started to leak. It was leaking from the connection at the hose on the hose side of the QD. Has anyone had this problem and any suggestions on how to repair? Luckily it was enough of a leak that we could hear it when the air was turned on. I took the unit apart and examined and then reassembled. I didn't hear a leak at that point but wasn't comfortable with letting him use it that way. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My experience with the QD is that it would readily leak when the O rings began to lose their ability to seal. Last time, I had mine serviced, we had trouble getting it sealed up upon reassembly.

At that point, given how much I dive, I made the decision to eliminate it as a possible, even probable, failure point. I haven't looked back.

Lots of folks use them and they are a nifty gadget, but like yours, others have reported leaks. Have your LDS service it and you'll probably be just fine. If it continues to be cantankerous, you can reassess it's utility.

There is a small metal piece inside the connection between the QD and the hose. The purpose of this piece is to allow the computer to turn on the hose. This piece has a Small O ring on each end, one or both of these O rings is probably in need of replacement. You should of received an extra with your QD kit or with the computer if it came with the QD.

Thanks for the info, I bought it second hand on here I while back, no extras included. I'm considering just eliminating the QD like mark01. Is it just a standard high pressure hose I can pick up anywhere or is it application specific?

The air spool is the name of the metal thing between the QD and the hose. The two o-rings are 003. Keep it clean, change the o-rings every couple years and it will be issue free.

The HP hose is standard.

Thanks, I looked at the fitting but can't figure out where the O rings are or how that part of it comes apart. Is this something I can do or should I take it to a shop?

I think the air spool is where the leak is at. It appears to be a swivel fitting that tightens up when air pressure is applied. With no pressure on the hose, it swivels freely as does the swivel on the QD. Once pressure is applied it tightens up but the swivel on the QD remains loose so the computer will rotate. It reminds of a flared fitting of some type. Does this make sense?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom